Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

[Discuss]Amazon S3 Support

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Postby gbwebhosts » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm

One other thing to add, peace of mind. When you own your own hardware and maintain your own software, you know it will work. When you work with your data center and know their technical abilities, you can sleep at night. You are not waiting on an email, support ticket, or phone call to fix the problem. What happens when S3 looses some data that is needed. Better have a really good E&O insurance.

Yes, getting over the intial fixed costs can be very difficult; however, once you exceed that inital point, costs go way down to almost nothing. Until you are at that point, most of the larger Ahsay providers here can and will provide everything you need to get rolling without the investment. Just ask. We won't pouch on your customers (heck, we probably like it better to have one contact).

As far as the S3 costs, their storage price does have some margins in there. We just ordered our second storage array with 5.5 TB of usable RAID 6 data. It will initally be filled half way, but in comparison to the S3 data rates, we will be paid back in under 6 months.

Greg Beason
GB Web Hosts, LLC
http://www.gbwebhosts.com
gbwebhosts

S3 vs. Do It Yourself

Postby gobackup » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 am

Hi there,

I use a DC. Don't know what's better- Probably a DC, but thought I'd make some interesting points:

- Did the math and a DC is cheaper, but costs are hard to control in a DC. That's important. Once we needed more power and were forced to get a whole new rack.

- While DCs are cheaper, you need to factor in the maintenance cost of labour for a DC. Even with 100% uptime of your network, there is always maintenance and on-call costs which I suspect will more or less even out the costs of S3 vs. DC. Also, training costs for practicing emergency operations.

- Yes, Amazon can go down, but even the top DCs can too. I'd say the number of technical incidents will likely be the same. The difference is that when it is Amazon, you can focus on customers and accommodating them in a rough time (Amazon will get the system back up) whereas I find that DC failover operations (I hope you have a plan in place) are extremely costly and keep staff strained so it is hard to deal with the customer.

Again, IMHO DCs are better. There's the seed load issue and also the customer tour issue. If you are closing a large account, good luck telling them you use Amazon's cloud. If you show them your DC, they are more likely to be impressed.
Still, there's a LOT of upsides to S3.
gobackup

Postby pnservices » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 am

gbwebhosts wrote:Until you are at that point, most of the larger Ahsay providers here can and will provide everything you need to get rolling without the investment. Just ask. We won't pouch on your customers (heck, we probably like it better to have one contact).

Greg, I didn't see that I could PM you about this so could you please email me a time that you could discuss this on the phone? I'd be available most anytime tomorrow (Friday October 23'rd).

kevin @ pronet-services.com

I look forward to hearing from you.
pnservices

Postby intrikrakin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Kevin, you might also consider broadening your search.

- Hazen
http://www.korcomputing.com
Backup & Replication server solutions
http://www.korcomputing.com/
intrikrakin

Postby pnservices » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm definitely open to other suggestions. If you feel that you can help, feel free to send an email with a gameplan and we'll review it. Just no spam please.

Kevin
pnservices

totally different option.

Postby mlsmith » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I agree that using S3 is not the end all answer. Your not really saving money in my opinion. what about using other each other for redundancy. Either with Ahsay's replication server, or by building our own cloud service. Like another user here said, Hardware and drives are cheap. And building our own cloud is not so complicated using let's say Ubuntu.

Just some thoughts.

--Mike.
mlsmith

Previous

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions