Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

[Discuss]Amazon S3 Support

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

amazon s3

Postby aalashwa » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 pm

I wouldn't count much on Ahsay; you almost never see any comments from them in this forum. Good luck :)

aa
aa@itrize.com
aalashwa

Sad

Postby net1it » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Thats really sad though. This has to be the slowest forum I have ever taken part in.
net1it

Re: Sad

Postby aalashwa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:52 am

net1it wrote:Thats really sad though. This has to be the slowest forum I have ever taken part in.

Sad is an understatement! Overlooking necessary due diligence will get you here for sure, where you feel sad and sorry because a vendor is not providing basic support. I am surprised that they are allowing these negative posts. I guess if no one is reading -- what's the heck!

aa
aalashwa

Postby net1it » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:27 am

The other part that kind of worries me about this product is that the price seems high to me.
net1it

amazon s3

Postby aalashwa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 am

net1it wrote:The other part that kind of worries me about this product is that the price seems high to me.

It is very high -- not just high. As I stated in different posts, we are reselling for other vendors that sell at fractional cost of what you see here. email me off line and I will help you out. aa@itrize.com
aalashwa

Re: amazon s3

Postby Wendy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:04 pm

First of all, I'd like to make some clarifications:
1. Amazon's S3 provides only data storage, not backup service
2. S3 can be an alternative to owning your own hardware, but in order to run an automated backup service, you still need the backup software like Ahsay to run on top of the hardware

The S3 storage service does sound an appealing alternative to acquiring your own hardware for small backup service providers. The startup cost is low as you do not have to invest in your own hardware. However, in the long run, S3 doesn't have much cost advantage, especially if data transfer is frequent. Someone has actually worked out the numbers and showed that one can save around US$580 over a 5-year periodstarting with 125GB initially using S3 storage instead of running on your own hardware.

The backup service providers like Altexa and Sync2s3 built their online backup service (with very limited features compared to Ahsay) based on S3 storage platform, and charging a premium over the S3 storage fees. Ahsay understands that our partners do want to explore possibility of running Ahsay on S3 platform. We would like to collect your opinions on how to take advantage of S3 in running your backup service. Would you be interested in:

1. With OBS installed on your own hardware, mount S3 as one of your network drives for data storage (however, this requires backup data to be first transferred to OBS and then from OBS to S3. This results in a waste of bandwidth because each byte requires to be sent through OBS twice)
2. Let OBM backup directly to S3 (this requires architectural changes to the current operation of OBM and will take months before we can get this done)

Mr. Alashwah, we notice that you have not set up OBS successfully and have submitted a support ticket to us, and our support team is awaiting for your reply. Ahsay does very much help you get started and our support team will be contacting you.
Development Team Representative
Ahsay Online Backup - committed to the success of your business
Wendy

Postby aalashwa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I look forward to seeing more active and successful forum.

I certainly prefer solution #2, even if it takes months before a successful release. I believe it will be a huge achievement for Ahsay to be powered by S3.

Thanks,
aa
aalashwa

Postby intrikrakin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:32 pm

aalashwa and net1it... you guys need to leave.

you two are scammers trolling this forum asking yourselves the same questions and then answering each other. I wouldn't be surprised if a trace found the same person with two accounts.

get lost.
intrikrakin

Postby aalashwa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:50 pm

You're so smart :) go ahead and trace the IPs!

I left my contact information and email in previous posts-- just think first before you make false claims. I have had a good relation with the folks at Ahsay; so don't embarrass yourself dear!

Now, look at what we are trying to achieve here. We are trying to have Ahsay compete and to gain more credibility by being associated with Amazon S3 platform; in the end we will all benefit.

Best,
aa
aalashwa

Postby net1it » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:38 pm

intrikrakin,

I dont understand why you are bashing me? I am just an individual that is trying to make sure I have all my question and concerns answered by the end of the week due to the dedline I have for the special pricing Ahsay is giving out. I think you need to step back and re-read the forum post again. I have already been extremely happy with Ahsays sales and tech support, they have answered all of my questions and then some. I would just like to see the addition to the software to support S3 a little easier.

Brian
net1it

Postby Nelsonn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Well, let's stop the argument here and back to the topic of this post, i.e. the Amazon S3 Support.

We are looking forward to hear more feedbacks on this feature. So please leave some comments about this even if you are interested in it or not, together with a reason. :wink:

Thanks
Ahsay Online Backup
Nelsonn

Postby leemason » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Meanwhile, back on subject:

I would be very nervous of using the S3 service if it did not provide at least the same service levels and data guarantees as I offer my customers already. However, maybe S3 storage would be viable for RPS to store a copy of user data without having to build a full RPS server.
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Postby CliffPeterson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:34 am

I'm not sold on S3. The cost per GB is $.20, right? Plus, you're paying for bandwidth.

We build our own servers, and I figure the capital cost at no more than $1.00/GB for hard drives and server equipment. Times two for replication, and I'm looking at ten months to payoff. After that, our hardware cost is zero. Power is probably 8-9 cents per replicated GB per year, and I'm not large enough yet to worry about a/c.

And, hardware costs are going down. I bought our last 500GB drives for $149. Soon, they'll come as prizes in cereal boxes.

If I went with S3, I can't see what I would save. Losing my hardware headaches would be nice, but the cost appears to be too high.

Also, it makes me dependent on S3 for quality, throughput, availability and customer service. By having my own hardware, things are more under my control.

But - ymmv....
CliffPeterson

Postby peakbackup5 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm

I see the pros and cons all over the place. I have a server that is sitting on 100MB, so S3 is a possibility. Use Ahsay with 100MB up / down....hmmm.

PROS
--You can easily integrate into Ahsay right now
--High capacity storage at .15 is very attractive

CONS
--There is a 5GB limit per object (file). I just verified again
--Volatile (changing) data will drive cost at .20GB due to the transfer fees.

So, personal backup fits this. Lots of pictures / movies that aren't changing often.

Thinking about all the feature requests, my personal opinion is that it's not a top priority for Ahsay.
Jim Robinson

http://www.PeakBackup.com
Ahsay Gold Partner
719-433-4230
peakbackup5

Postby rov » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:50 pm

Hallo!

additional CONS
- there is no data-guarantee on S3, "only" 99.9% reachable ! This is not equal to "no user data can be lost!)
(If I have over seen something, let it me known..)

regards
Valentan
rov

PreviousNext

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions