Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

[Feature][3240][OBM][NS]Logging of ahsay events to windows eventlog

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Postby rootjmo » Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 am

this is one of the common questions from our clients? Most backup clients out there have this option.....
Ahsay, please give this need more attention.

/Jmo
rootjmo

Postby mrt595 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:48 am

Yes, please. It has been a year since this was first brought up.
mrt595

Postby JasonEde » Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 am

This has been 'in the queue' for over a year now with no release date.

How hard can it be to simply insert a couple of entries into the windows eventlog as its just a call to the library with the info to be inserted, and surely is just 10-20 minutes of the coders time? There is even numerous examples out there on how to do just that if they don't know how.

Currently the only way to monitor ahsay is to use an external script/program leveraging the API's (we're being forced to write one to monitor ahsay) or trawl through the emails on a daily basis which is simply not practical. The script/program option adds another degree of complexity and is another link in a chain and another point of failure which really shouldn't be needed.

Ahsay, how long is it going to take to get this very simple and yet very important feature in?
JasonEde

Postby Kevinc » Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 am

Hi,

I'm sorry that this feature is still pending in the enhancement queue, there's no targeted time yet. We will keep you updated on any news.

Thanks!
Kevinc

logging to windwos event log or syslog server

Postby steven » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 am

any update on logging event to windows eventlog or syslog server?

also adding option to search the log files would be nice
steven

Re: logging to windwos event log or syslog server

Postby Kevinc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:21 am

steven wrote:any update on logging event to windows eventlog or syslog server?

It is still pending in the queue. We will keep you updated on any news.

steven wrote:also adding option to search the log files would be nice

Thanks for your suggestion; this enhancement request is put in the queue.
Kevinc

Still in que?

Postby azarett » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 am

is this feature still pending, or am I simply missing the option to start/ enable windows event log alerts ?
azarett

Postby JasonEde » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 am

Its still pending having been raised over 1 year ago and there is still no indication of when, if ever, this simple feature will be implemented.
JasonEde

Postby el-tel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:31 pm

I would also like to register my vote for this feature. It's much more simple for our clients to navigate and diagnose errors via the windows system log than trying to search out the OBM log files under the user directories.

Not sure why it's taken so long to implement, it seems like a simple addition to me.
el-tel

[Feature][OBM][NS]Logging of ahsay events to windows eventlog

Postby PC-Bjorn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:17 am

People are still waiting for the feature to have results written to the Windows Event Log! I see it's soon been 1.5 years.

This is a very important feature for me as well! I don't want to have to read through hundreds of my clients' emailed backup-reports every day.

I would be content if you included this feature and it just wrote: "Last backup SUCCESS" or "Last backup FAILED".

You could simply expand on this in future updates.
PC-Bjorn

Postby JasonEde » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:39 am

We've nearly given up waiting for this and have been working on a vb script to leverage the API's and produce a table showing the state of all the backups... Its not as automated as we'd like, but it does the job for us.

I really don't see why this couldn't have been done sooner as it seems to be such a simple change.
JasonEde

Postby Support3 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:03 am

Your suggestions and comments have been directed to the software development team. For your information, such enhancement suggestion is still pending in the queue. We will keep you updated on any news.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby littlefish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 am

My vote is in, would really like this. We have a monitoring system in place from GFI who I understand have been in contact with Ahsay to discuss enabling the GFI app to take data from Ahsay but until then the GFI App IS able to check and error on event logs.

So having a simple Failed and Success event as mentioned before would be fantastic.

So its been 3mnths since the last comment, can I prompt an update? :D

Thanks
littlefish

Postby vtphilk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 am

I too am using the GFI MAX system to monitor backups. It would be nice to have a way of checking the Ahsay software on the server to see if a backup was run with success or failure.... Some sort of interface to talk with third party products...
vtphilk

Postby icunetworks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I've email my account manager at GFI today requesting they work with Ahsay to get this matter resolved...

Gfimax is the nuts of a solution and now GFI have it it can only get better!
icunetworks

PreviousNext

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions