[Feature][RPS]Replication server to act as monitor for OBS

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

[Feature][RPS]Replication server to act as monitor for OBS

Postby jazar » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:09 am

Platform : ALL
Product :RPS
Descriptions :
It would be of benefit if the replication server could be configured to send alerts to an email address if the OBS server has not sent any messages in a specified amount of time. It appears that OBS sends information to the RPS server at least once a minute during normal operation. For example: if the RPS server has received no updates from OBS in 5 minutes send email to the admin email address to alert them that OBS may be down.
Reasons : Any 24x7 production system should be monitored. This feature could serve as a monitor so the proper operations personnel can be notified if OBS is not operating or replicating.
Workaround : Use another monitoring tool.
Keywords : Monitoring, replication server, RPS, Alert, notification
jazar

Postby leemason » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:20 pm

This may help you in the short term if you run LInux but we use Webmin to monitor the remote network ports 80 and 443 on the OBS server from the OBM server and we do the same from OBS to RPS so that we know if anything goes down.
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Postby Net24 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:51 am

I've tried to monitor via just port 80 and 443 but Java can sometimes get it's knickers in a twist and respond although the system is down.

I wrote a script to go and compare log files on both boxes as well as disk activity/usage on the partitions of interest. That way I KNOW that LogX on OBS was replicated to RPS within a certain amount of time.
Net24

Network Monitor

Postby semills » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:45 am

Why not just monitor both OBS and RPS with a network monitoring tool?

We use a product which runs on our network monitoring server. This in turn monitors all servers related to processor usage, memory, disk space, event viewer errors and windows services. We check to make sure that the OBS and RPS services are running along with the above.

Additionally we check that the web login interface is operating by querying the servers using this same utility.

To give you an idea how specific you can be: We use this to monitor clients networks as well. We can be notified if there is a print job in queue that is holding up other print jobs.

That just gives you an idea of how specific you can be. Overall we monitor 30 different aspects of our Ahsay RPS and OBS servers.

It helps me sleep at night.
semills

Postby intrikrakin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:22 am

I use http://www.panopta.com to monitor all of my servers (over 40).
I like their web interface and the 60 second checks are a must for me. They are also one of the cheapest I have found that do 1 minute checks for the number of servers that I have.
I also got a 20% discount when I signed up so it saved me about $30/month too which was nice.
Backup & Replication server solutions
http://www.korcomputing.com/
intrikrakin

Postby bserebin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:37 pm

I would agree, this would be a helpful feature. Right now, I have to monitor the logfiles and see when the partition runs low on space, then I know replication is not working. Ideally, a daily RPS email summary of the replication status would be very helpful, similar to the daily replication summary.

-Ben
bserebin

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions