Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

System State problems with Windows Server 2008

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Postby garham » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm

This issue may be slightly different in that the backup screen comes up with the progress bar, but then just hangs there doing nothing until the process is killed off in task manager.
We can run a windows system state backup from the command line using the command...

dining in santa cruz
Last edited by garham on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garham

Postby vtphilk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:01 am

i guess ahsay's answer is just buy a usb drive for every client you want to do system images on? Is that correct? Or buy a storagecraft license. I tried the regedit but it didn't help.

If I do get a USB drive, if I tell it not to delete temp files I assume it will leave the system image on the usb drive. If so, can it be restored locally using the windows restore?
vtphilk

Postby ahh-say-what » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 am

vtphilk wrote:i guess ahsay's answer is just buy a usb drive for every client you want to do system images on? Is that correct? Or buy a storagecraft license. I tried the regedit but it didn't help.

If I do get a USB drive, if I tell it not to delete temp files I assume it will leave the system image on the usb drive. If so, can it be restored locally using the windows restore?

Did you reboot after the registry edit?

I was just able to get the system state to buffer to C:\ after making the MS registry change AND going to OBM v5.5.8.2 which allows buffering to C$ (I assume you must also upgrade OBS to v5.5.8.2).
http://download.ahsay.com/support/hot-f ... hanges.htm

I can also confirm that OBM v6.5.0.0 and up allows buffering to C$.

System State backup on server 2008 for my 5582 vault has been my top support issue to deal with lately, so I hope this helps others.
ahh-say-what

Postby Support3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 am

vtphilk wrote:I guess Ahsay's answer is just buy a USB drive for every client you want to do system images on? Is that correct? Or buy a Storagecraft license. I tried the regedit but it didn't help.

Can I clarify if you are attempting to perform a SYSTEM (image type) or SYSTEM STATE backup? You mentioned about Storagecraft license, which is for image backup (e.g. SYSTEM backup), and you have also mentioned about editing the registry to allow temp drive on a critical volume for a SYSTEM STATE backup, can I clarify if you are referring to the following registry modification from partner PG in the previous post, or from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530

Such change is actually for SYSTEM STATE backup, and not SYSTEM (image type) backup. Can you precisely tell us what are you actually attempting to perform? Is your backup requirement to perform a full image backup of your system?

Please understand that all requirements on the temporary spool path for the System State backup module (of Windows 2008 or R2) and MS Windows System backup module are actually imposed by Wbadmin.exe (Windows Server Backup Feature), not Ahsay.

Restriction on the temporary storage location for the Windows System State and System backup:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9893

vtphilk wrote:If I do get a USB drive, if I tell it not to delete temp files I assume it will leave the system image on the usb drive. If so, can it be restored locally using the Windows restore?

If you un-check the delete temp file option for the corresponding MS Windows System backup set, yes, the data on the USB drive can then be used to restore locally using Windows restore.

For each individual case, it may be faster for us to assist (and easier for partner), if you can prepare the actual backup client log (e.g. C:\Users\Administrator\.obm\log) and submit a Support Ticket http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index. ... contact-us

Take this thread as an example, it starts off with discussion on problems with SYSTEM STATE backups, but often times, we do see partners confused over the SYSTEM (MS Windows SYSTEM backup module) and SYSTEM STATE (SYSTEM STATE backup module) backup. Partner 'vtphilk' then talks about SYSTEM backup, while partner 'ahh-say-what' replied suggesting if they had reboot the machine after the registry change, but the registry change is actually intended for SYSTEM STATE backup not SYSTEM backup.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby vtphilk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 am

Sorry for the confusion. So here is my scenario (I'm going to post here so it will help the forum):

-I have a SBS 2008 server.
-There are 3 physical hard drive volumes which are RAID 1 or RAID10 type (not really relevant but just saying). They are "C:, D:, E:"
-C: is primarily the OS and programs. It is 100GB partition with 15GB free
-D: is for Exchange and other Domain related stuff. It is the remainder of the physical hard drive RAID 1 from C, 175GB with 100GB free.

-E: Is for storage and databases. It is a 600GB RAID10 (4 drive array). It has around 400GB free and houses the MS SQL databases and file storage.

My thought was to do the following:

Weekly, perform a system backup of C drive using the "MS Windows System Backup" module of Ahsay. I want to use the Temp directory for storing backup files of "E:" for now till we get a USB drive out there.

Daily Exchange Database and Mailbox store Backups
Daily MS SQL Database Backups
Daily File Backups of the file store on E and Important files on D.

This should cover the server fully, correct? I know there is some overlap on the Exchange but I only provide mailbox backup for a small subset of the exchange users, the rest are covered under the exchange store backup.

Since I'm doing file and db backups I don't need to "Image" the D or E drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Now, here is what I tried..

Setup the above and the system image backup won't work. Getting the "Critical volume error". So I performed the reg edit and reboot as mentioned above in KB944530 and now I can do a system backup to the E using wbadmin command:

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:e:

However, ahsay is still giving the error right in the begining of the backup:

"[MS Windows System Backup] ERROR - The location for backup is a critical volume."

then it quits and fails.
vtphilk

Postby vtphilk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:27 am

PS..here is the log file:

[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Advanced Backup
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Using Temporary Directory E:\
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Start running pre-commands
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Finished running pre-commands
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Start spooling
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Using Temporary Directory E:\
[2012/01/02 15:00:26] [info] Backup MS Windows System to "E:\WindowsImageBackup" …
[2012/01/02 15:00:27] [info] [MS Windows System Backup] wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
[2012/01/02 15:00:27] [info] [MS Windows System Backup] (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.
[2012/01/02 15:00:27] [info] [MS Windows System Backup]
[2012/01/02 15:00:27] [info] [MS Windows System Backup] Retrieving volume information...
[2012/01/02 15:00:27] [info] [MS Windows System Backup]
[2012/01/02 15:00:32] [info] [MS Windows System Backup] This would backup volume OS(C:) to E:.
[2012/01/02 15:00:33] [info] [MS Windows System Backup]
[2012/01/02 15:00:38] [info] [MS Windows System Backup] ERROR - The location for backup is a critical volume.
[2012/01/02 15:00:38] [info] [MS Windows System Backup]
[2012/01/02 15:00:38] [erro] [java.io.InterruptedIOException] Failed to generate the backup image of MS Windows System Backup
[2012/01/02 15:00:39] [erro] Backup completed with error(s)
vtphilk

Postby Support3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am

PG wrote:You can create a folder in C:\ called something like C:\obmtemp then use a subst command to assign that folder a new drive letter and use that as a temp spooling location

subst T: C:\obmtemp

then T: will appear as a temp location to spool the system state to.

Can I confirm if this was tested and worked on your server? If not, please edit the post to avoid further confusion to other partners in the future. The backuptarget of a SYSTEM STATE backup cannot be a substituting path (subst). We can confirm this by simply running the following command in command prompt (where T: is a subst to folder on a critical volume):

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:t:

On Windows 2008 Server, the following error will be displayed -
ERROR - Specified backup location could not be found.

On Windows 2008 R2 Server, the following error will be displayed -
ERROR - The specified backup location could not be found or is not a supported backup storage location.

For partner who are having problem perform SYSTEM STATE backup with temp drive configured to a critical volume. The only change that you are required to make is to add the registry entry ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530 ). This will allow the SYSTEM STATE data to be spooled to a critical volume.

Furthermore, such change is ONLY for SYSTEM STATE backup but not MS Windows SYSTEM backup.
Support3

Postby Support3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:31 am

vtphilk, it looks like you are still confused over the SYSTEM STATE backup (SYSTEM STATE BACKUP) module and the SYSTEM (MS WINDOWS SYSTEM BACKUP) module. To avoid further confusion to other partners in the future, please again carefully read over our replies, or as we have suggested, submit a Support Ticket http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index. ... contact-us . You are very welcome to share all findings in this thread afterward.

vtphilk post on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 am wrote:My thought was to do the following:

Weekly, perform a system backup of C drive using the "MS Windows System Backup" module of Ahsay. I want to use the Temp directory for storing backup files of "E:" for now till we get a USB drive out there.

Daily Exchange Database and Mailbox store Backups
Daily MS SQL Database Backups
Daily File Backups of the file store on E and Important files on D.

You mentioned about wanting to perform a system backup of C drive using the "MS Windows System Backup" module of Ahsay. Can you please confirm which are the critical volume on your machine. From your description, it looks like all 3 of your drives (C, D and E) are critical volume. Can you please run the following command to confirm:

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:e:

This command will start a SYSTEM backup of all critical volume, which should show (we are only starting the backup to identify the critical volume):

Command Prompt wrote:Retrieving volume information...
This will back up volume System Reserved (100.00 MB),$VOLUME($DRIVE_LETTER) to $BACKUPTARGET:.
Do you want to start the backup operation?
[Y] Yes [N] No

Press N afterward to abort the backup.

If the result shows that all 3 drives on the server are critical volume, your only choice is to configure the temporary directory to a NETWORK path or a USB drive. There is no workaround for SYSTEM backup to be spooled on a critical volume.

vtphilk post on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 am wrote:Now, here is what I tried..

Setup the above and the system image backup won't work. Getting the "Critical volume error". So I performed the reg edit and reboot as mentioned above in KB944530 and now I can do a system backup to the E using wbadmin command:

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:e:

The registry change is only for SYSTEM STATE backup (SYSTEM STATE BACKUP) module, and not the SYSTEM (MS WINDOWS SYSTEM BACKUP) module. The article by Microsoft ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530 ) made it clear that the registry modification is 'to enable system state backups to critical volumes', the command you ran afterward is also a command for SYSTEM STATE backup, not SYSTEM backup.

The command for the 2 types of backup are different -

System State (SYSTEM STATE backup module) - wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:x
System (MS Windows SYSTEM backup module) - wbadmin start backup -include:x -backuptarget:x

Please refer to the following Ahsay Knowledge Base article for details on the restriction on the temporary storage location for the Windows SYSTEM STATE and SYSTEM backup: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9893

Thanks.
Support3

Postby vtphilk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 am

FYI..yes..sorry for the confusion.

The result of that command was:

This would backup volume OS(C:),DomainStorage(D:),Storage(E:) to e:.

I ended up just getting a USB drive and using that as temp storage. It would not let me use a network share either..

Thanks
vtphilk

Previous

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions