Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

[Request] Set major release in Beta instead of "final" product at first

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

[Request] Set major release in Beta instead of "final" product at first

Postby jedduff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Hey Ahsay,

I'm angry about how you don't test your product in a efficiently manner way.

Why don't you release a public or closed beta release at first and after that, a final product with fixes? You will be sure of the product's quality and you will set your customers happier.

I feel that I am a tester of your products inadvertently.

Please! You will help us and you with that.
jedduff

Postby centex » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 pm

I agree.

But why should we keep testing it for them, for free ?
centex

Postby jedduff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 pm

centex wrote:I agree.

But why should we keep testing it for them, for free ?

Nope, maybe a couple of free keys
jedduff

Postby lasseoe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:06 am

I have to agree, although testing won't find all bugs, it should find the majority of of them. Also, investing heavily in testing, ie unit testing, pays off in the long run, not only does it shorten development time, it also decreases support in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby jedduff » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:54 am

lasseoe wrote:I have to agree, although testing won't find all bugs, it should find the majority of of them. Also, investing heavily in testing, ie unit testing, pays off in the long run, not only does it shorten development time, it also decreases support in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing

I know, testing won't find all bugs. but! ahsay use 1 test lab. We are a tons of customers with different environnents.

I'm sure at 100% ahsay never tested a backupset with filter on the 6.13 version.
jedduff

Postby racassel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

When you want to be the cheapest thing on the street, you can get away with it. The cost for support and production must be minimized to sell it cheap.

As my great grandpappy once learned me,
"If you want good oats, you have to pay the price, now if you don't mind if they have already been run through the horse, you can pay less"

My lesson learned is: Cry once and pay the price for a quality product with support, otherwise you will cry every day. My labor costs beta testing for them, and figuring out issues myself with cryptic error messages, notes in forums, poorly translated ahsaypedia and admin manual lacking concice detail , instead of waiting days for email only tech support, only to ask a question with another question and request admin password access to the clients server and the OBSR to work on it when it is convenient for them.

I have paid triple the cost of anything else that is out there. My misery is furhter complicated by the fact that is impossible to turn support over to another engineer, even with a BS incomputer science, they need someone with 2 years of working with the product to show all the ins and outs, of even the most seemingly simple problems.

In the US, our software engineers get a bonus for delivering a quality product on time. In Ahsayland, I can only assume the requirement is to show up everyday and get paid whether the product release is good or not. 6.x has been in "production" I think close to 2 years and it still does not work".

Now not to point a finger, but I believe Sherrxxx software architect is the only guy in the world that understands this product under the hood. There no improvement in quality control in the four years I have been involved with it. Many promises made in a post a few years aqo entitled Bad Software - High Prices that was deleted years ago when having checked (backup permissions) corrupted all files and forced them to loop and redownload across every OBSR that upgraded to it.

Either this fellow owns the company, or Ahsay is "ah-scared" of the price to hire another top level architect to help him straighten it out, or they are "ah-scared" of a total rewrite INMHO would save money and bring in much new business in the log run.

The question is, Is Ahsay hanging on to a tired, old diminishing user base beating this horse until it dies, or are they interested in delivering cutting edge technology that simply works and restablishing themselves as a leader in this highly competitive industry.

My maintenance dues are due again, and I thought I could finally upgrade to a stable release after two years of fees wasted watching this fiasco on a monthly basis, hoping for something worthwhile. Instead, I've opened another can of bugs and worms, and fallen into a time vacuume trying to upgrade to a miserable release.
racassel

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions