Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Virtual backup : Minimising delta sizes?

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Virtual backup : Minimising delta sizes?

Postby JasonEde » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:39 pm

We backup some 2008 virtuals with Ahsay and I've noticed that a scheduled defrag that was running on the guest OS was pushing the delta up to well over 50% and causing a full backup of the drive on a regular basis. I'm guessing it's recommended to have the defrag off on a virtual and for Ahsay in particular, but I can't seem to find any mention of this in the documentation...

Also how would this sit with "previous versions"/shadowprotect? I'd have thought that the snapshots would cause larger changes to the data drive as snapshots were created and deleted and if you've already got a backup of the entire drive anyway then is there any point in having the previous versions enabled?
JasonEde

Re: Virtual backup : Minimising delta sizes?

Postby Ivar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 am

Ahsay is file-backup tool (and does this job perfectly), it dont have nothing to do with sector backups. Defragmentation changes only sectors, not files. Shadowprotect is sector-backup, but completely independent product and unnaturally integrated with Ahsay.
Ivar

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions