Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Large files- time and bandwidth limits

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Large files- time and bandwidth limits

Postby raytaylor » Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm

I have a question for you

If we have a customer in another country and their internet daily upload limit is 600 megabytes, can we spread the initial backup out over several weeks by using bandwidth and time limits?

I was thinking i would set them to 512kbit and let the backup run for two hours per day. That would mean it would backup 460 megabytes then stop.

The idea is that the 30 gigabytes of data would be backed up over 60 days, and then the daily backups would only take a few minutes once the seeding is completed.

But they do have some large files.
If it started uploading a 1.2gb outlook pst file, and stopped due to the time limit, would it resume uploading the next day or would it start the file again, get stuck in a loop and then never get past the pst file?
raytaylor

Postby leemason » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

With large files if the backup is interrupted it will start again from the beginning. This is a big problem sometimes for people who only want the backup to run for a specific number of hours where this does not give enough time to upload the backup. Much better to get them to do a seed load to disk and send it to you.

The other alternative is to have the back running all of the time and reduce the bandwidth right down to maybe 32KB.
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions