Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

UBS 2.27 on VMware ESXi 6.0b?

Discuss technical questions on AhsayUBS

Moderator: Support Team

UBS 2.27 on VMware ESXi 6.0b?

Postby AverageJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi All,

Anyone running UBS on VMware 6?

Any suggestions on how to make the copy process faster from one "User Homes" to another "User Homes" that is on a different disk. Those little files seem to take forever to copy.

Any tricks to using NFS as the storage so that those little files are just a remote file?

I upgraded 2.17 to 2.27 with no issues, it went very well and we have been running on VMware ESXi 5.5 for a few years.

Thanks,
Joe
AverageJoe

Re: UBS 2.27 on VMware ESXi 6.0b?

Postby Support2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello Joe,

AhsayUBS guest should be able to run on VMware ESXi v6 as it is backwards compatible with v5.5 guests.

Please let us know if you have any problems with AhsayUBS guests on VMware ESXi v6
Support2

Postby AverageJoe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 pm

68 people as of today have looked at this post...

so they :
*) have it working fine and don't want to waste any time
*) are thinking about it
*) have it working but want to make it better and are too afraid to ask about it

I have it working on ESXi 5.5 fine, I even upgraded to the latest 2.27 and it went without a single issue. The thing I hate is that Ahsay is not using FreeBSD 10.2 yet as there is a script called growfs.sh(https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?growfs(8)) that allows me to have a 4tb VMDK and if I add space to make it 5TB in VMware I just have to go to FreeBSD 10.2 and use the growfs command so that my backup clients have 1TB more space to put stuff on.

The other thing that would make life easy is a Button to move clients from one "User Homes" to another without having to use OS commands(Linux or FreeBSD 8.3 in the UBS appliance).

The other thing that should be SUPER easy is to allow us to use remote NFS servers and have the mount command survive a reboot.

I am using NFS now and the bottleneck is the WAN connection not the LAN connection to the NFS server. NFS means I can keep adding space to it and the Ahsay server just sees a remote file system got bigger, no futzing with growing a partition, swapping disks, adding a ZFS pool or adding a LUN. The easiest way to grow it and replicate it is with ZFS.

So is Ahsay a dead product?

Thanks,
Joe
AverageJoe

Postby Support2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your feedback on AhsayUBS.

We have many partners using AhsayUBS platform and we get constant feedback/suggestions on how to improve the usability of AhsayUBS not only on the forum but also through email and our social media channels

As part of our on going improvements to AhsayUBS we have included support for AhsayCBS v7, this will allow AhsayUBS partners to take advantage of expanded the number of storage options available. In addition to local and iSCSI storage AhsayUBS v7 will now support the public/private cloud storage storage services, i.e. MS Azure, Google Cloud Service, Amazon S3, RackSpace, OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, Google Drive, DropBox, AWS Compatible Storage, OpenStack, and FTP/SFTP server.

The support of cloud storage will provide partners with the ability to:

-Quickly scale backup server storage easily based on demand.
-Leverage the higher data redundancy of the cloud.
-Lower overall costs as this will reduce the need to invest heavily in hardware infrastructure.

Please feel free to download the latest AhsayUBS beta image from our web site http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index. ... wnload_ubs
Support2

Return to AhsayUBS