Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Backup OBS to MSL4048 Tape Library - details inside

Discuss technical questions on AhsayUBS

Moderator: Support Team

Backup OBS to MSL4048 Tape Library - details inside

Postby choppingman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am

Hi all,

Here is our situation. We have a requirement to backup all data from our OBS server to a MSL4048 tape library - the OBS server is on a DMZ IP while the tape library is on the LAN. We have a 95% vmware virtualised environment. We also have a full Data Protector Express license WITHOUT the agents.

I some spare hardware that I can run up a test environment - ie "interface" server has a SCSI card that connects to the tape library - which in turn needs to connect to the OBS and/or our QNAP SAN.

I know most of you dump to disk only - we need to dump our OBS to tape somehow - either partially or entirely. I have experimented with various linux distros to get something working but have not been able to find a working solution. Just to make things more complicated, I would prefer not to have data duplication.

So in conclusion:
OBS server on Ubuntu server
Qnap 12tb SAN connected via ISCSI to LAN
"interface" scsi server connected to MSL4048 tape library running any OS?

I can provide any other info that may be required.

I had a quick look at UBS but it doesnt support tape libraries :( I also have access to a number of ahsay licensed products.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
choppingman

Postby Support3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 am

You are correct, the newly introduced AhsayUBS does not support tape libraries.

As Ahsay's backup application is mainly for off-site backup to disk, we do not have much practical experience with backup to medium such as tape. Perhaps other partners with experience on backup to tape can share with you their experience.

Thanks.
Support3

Return to AhsayUBS