Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Can you connect to OBS directly after configuring for RDR?

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRDR

Moderator: Support Team

Can you connect to OBS directly after configuring for RDR?

Postby bmaiers » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:13 pm

I have a quick question....

Currently, my users OBM/ACB clients point to "backup.mycompany.com" - which connects them directly to an OBS. I will be putting an RDR online soon and will reconfigure DNS to direct "backup.mycompany.com" to the RDR's IP{ address instead.

Obviously, before the RDR goes online, I need to properly configure the OBS's "Use Redirector" section on the Server Configuration screen.

However, there might be up to 24-hours before the DNS change takes place....

Once I make the proper "Use Redirector" changes to the OBS, will the OBM/ACB clients still be able to connect to the OBS directly while the DNS changes propagate?
Bob
bmaiers

Re: Can you connect to OBS directly after configuring for RDR?

Postby Support3 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi,

To clarify, the 'Use Redirector (AhsayRDR)' setting found on the OBS web management console is used when creating backup account (if this setting is enabled, OBS will check among all member OBS (within the same RDR setup) to confirm if the username of the account to be created is already in-used), this is to ensure that there is no backup account within the RDR setup with 'duplicated' username.

(This means that, even if the 'Use Redirector (AhsayRDR)' setting is not enabled, if the OBS information is filled in on the RDR web management console, backup accounts connecting to the RDR server will still be redirected to the corresponding OBS server)

Now going back to your question:

Once I make the proper "Use Redirector" changes to the OBS, will the OBM/ACB clients still be able to connect to the OBS directly while the DNS changes propagate?

Answer) The OBM / ACB client will still be able to connect to the OBS server directly (when the hostname is still not updated on the DNS server), even with the 'Use Redirector (AhsayRDR)' setting is enabled.
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Return to AhsayRDR