Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Load balancing and licensing

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRDR

Moderator: Support Team

Load balancing and licensing

Postby pji » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 am

We're moving our OBS from the testing stage to deployment.
Since our environment is almost completely redundant, I would like to move the OBS into a high availability configuration.
I setup the config in our load balancers and configured the server based on the 5.3 guide linked from the admin manual.
Before I started building the second server, I sent sales a request to generate/reconfigure the license to handle multiple servers. (Saw that from another post about load balancing.)
The response I received is that I would have to double my CALs to bring up another server. Really!? Is anyone actually doing this? I could see a per server fee, but doubling CALs is crazy! May not seem like much at low levels, but think about 20,000 CALs to accommodate 10,000 users...

I haven't heard back from sales after explaining that I basically have the same setup from the guide - balancer -> obsA & obsB -> drbd nfs mount. I would like to hear from anyone using a load balanced config, hardware or software, if the sales rep is correct. If true, alternatives would be appreciated...
pji

Postby pji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:19 am

Really? Everyone here is either using a single server or being extorted for double licenses?

I'm making a last ditch effort to catch the ear of the larger players that have some soft of high availability configuration... Please point me in the right direction.

The configuration overview:
Internet --> load balancer (there are actually two)
loadbalancer --> OBS A & B
OBS A & B --> NAS (Customer Data)

Sales wont budge and, more specifically, doesn't understand the configuration.

Do YOU see why that would require equal licenses on each box to access the same data?

We're looking at two other software providers that will simply add a second servers IP address to a license, however; I'd rather not change this late in the game.
pji

Postby Support3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 am

Could you please provide us with your Ticket ID, and contact information, so that we can further assist you on the case?

Thanks.
Support3

Postby Jazz9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 pm

I am waiting on the ahsayRDR to come out, then I will be going loadbalanced. I hope you sort this out as i will be going down the same path!

I have allways though that the loadbalancing should be done at the client end.... wouldn't it just be easier for OBM to retry a list of servers?

Surely!

Glen
Jazz9

Postby pji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Using something like the that, or client side round robin would justify their license position. At that point you are actually connecting to two independent replicated servers.

I'm just looking for physical server failover protection. I have redundant internet connections, redundant load balancers, redundant nfs servers... and a single obs server.

My suggestion to sales was to charge a per server fee for high availability configs and that they really should be charging some sort license fee for the RPS server.
pji

Postby abutton » Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 am

Pji

Did you here anymore from sales on this one. I have been looking at this for sometime and was hoping there may have been an update.

I like you want to configure a redundant setup and the only option seems to be load balancing but the cost to achieve this become massively prohibitive as you add more servers. A cal per user per server prices an Ahsay solution out of the market.

Regards

Alex
abutton

Postby datalock » Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 am

We had the same reponse from sales. When we asked to have an additional load balancing OBS license we were told that we would need to double our CAL's! They they made themselves feel better when they said that would give be the secound lot of CAL's for 25% less.

Load Balancing allows a Service Provider to grow much larger. Scalibility should be encouraged, not discouraged. Additional OBS licenses for the sake of load balancing should be FREE to encourage faster growth, more stable platforms and better performance.

Needless to say, we are spending money on looking for other alternatives to Ahsay. This licensing madness has meant we need to look for other providers who will allow us to grow larger and give us economies of scale, not a glass ceiling to stop growth all together.
datalock

Postby Support3 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 am

datalock wrote:We had the same reponse from sales. When we asked to have an additional load balancing OBS license we were told that we would need to double our CAL's! They they made themselves feel better when they said that would give be the secound lot of CAL's for 25% less.

Load Balancing allows a Service Provider to grow much larger. Scalibility should be encouraged, not discouraged. Additional OBS licenses for the sake of load balancing should be FREE to encourage faster growth, more stable platforms and better performance.

Needless to say, we are spending money on looking for other alternatives to Ahsay. This licensing madness has meant we need to look for other providers who will allow us to grow larger and give us economies of scale, not a glass ceiling to stop growth all together.

May I clarify when was your inquiry to sales made? To my understand, the second license's CAL for AhsayOBS high-availability (HA) option is 50% less, and the third license's CAL is up to 75% less. You may want to contact our Sales Representatives again regarding the pricing of the AhsayOBS high-availability (HA) option?

Furthermore, to clarify, the AhsayOBS high-availability (HA) option is actually designed with High Availability as its priority. For scalability, we would recommend you to use Ahsay Redirector (AhsayRDR) instead. AhsayRDR works by redirecting connections to the corresponding server allowing your backup solution to support any number of users, distributed between any numbers of servers.

Benefits:
1. Easily scales your backup solution's capacity, both up and down, as your requirements change
2. Loading is shared among multiple nodes
3. Cost effective, no need for expensive investment on high-end hardware
4. Upgrades easily and transparently without interruption to your service and performance

You can achieve scalability with AhsayOBS high-availability (HA) option as well. However, the hardware cost will be significantly higher. For more details, please contact our Support Engineer by submitting a Support Ticket.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby datalock » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am

I've just talked to Sales. While it seems that support are willing to 'sell' the AhsayRDR, sales can't becuase they don't know how much it costs. Any idea when this information will be released?
datalock

Postby Support3 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Our Sales Representatives are now finalizing the pricing on the AhsayRDR module. For your information, AhsayRDR will be available when version 5.5.3.0 is released, the pricing shall be available before 5.5.3.0 is launched.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby datalock » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks. And that should be sometime this month/week/quarter/year????
datalock

Postby Support3 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

The pricing, along with version 5.5.3.0 should be available within a few weeks.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby AhsayNoob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 am

Even Microsoft's licensing on SQL Server is more reasonable than Ahsay in this regard.

You pay by proc that you use, not by proc or cal or whatever that you might never use.
AhsayNoob

Postby Support3 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am

AhsayNoob wrote:You pay by proc that you use, not by proc or cal or whatever that you might never use.

The actual pricing on AhsayRDR or AhsayOBS HA option have been finalized, please contact our Sales Representatives for the pricing quotation.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby AhsayNoob » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:40 pm

pji wrote:The configuration overview:
Internet --> load balancer (there are actually two)
loadbalancer --> OBS A & B
OBS A & B --> NAS (Customer Data)

pji, We have been experimenting with Linux clustering at the OS level and I would like to know the route you took? In my opinion, "clustering -> shared storage" should be a standard practice, but it has been really frustrating with the Ahsay product. Anyway, what did you end up doing? Thank you.
AhsayNoob

Return to AhsayRDR