Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

AhsayRDR

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRDR

Moderator: Support Team

AhsayRDR

Postby housey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi

Ive just started looking at the RDR as I want to be able to move users around to different servers more easily.

Firstly, I cant believe you have to pay for it!!!

Secondly, Can anyone explain what you do with SSL's? At the moment I have 3 OBSR servers each with there own ssl - server1, server2 and server3

I presume I need to set up a new SSL for the RDR by following the same SSL instructions for the OBSR?

The OBM will be configured to use the RDR's hostname, is it ok for the OBSR's it gets redirected to, to have a different SSL? I know there was some code introduced in the OBM to stop any man in the middle attacks, I presume the OBM can handle this?

I could test this for myself if I could get the thing working :) I have obsr 5.5.7.2, rdr 5.5.7.0 and OBM 5.5.5.0 I always get User does not exist when connecting to the rdr but it works fine if I connect to the OBSR directly.

The logs on the obsr also show an api call at the same time so I know the rdr is configured correctly. (I have already updated the web.xml to allow the rdr to make api calls)

Anyone using the rdr and care to share there experiences?

Kind Regards

Paul
housey

Postby Support3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 am

Yes, a license is required to run the AhsayRDR application. For more details, you could contact our Sales Representatives for details.

For your concern on SSL certificate, you will need to purchase a wildcard certificate, for the usage of the 3 AhsayOBS servers and AhsayRDR server. May I clarify if there is current certificate already installed onto the AhsayOBS servers?

For your problem with 'user does not exist', can you give us more details? Do you mean user cannot be logged into the AhsayOBM graphical user interface via the AhsayRDR hostname, or cannot be logged into the AhsayOBS user web console via the AhsayRDR console? For us to further look into the problem, can you please submit a Support Ticket as we will require further personal details, such as login credentials to the respective servers to further assist you.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby housey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi

I have resolved my user does not exist issues and have the RDR working in a test environment.

Can you give more info on why I need wildcard ssl? My current OBS's do have valid ssl's at the moment

e.g.

server1.domain.com
server2.domain.com
server3.domain.com

My plan was to get a new ssl and call it say

rdr.domain.com

Will this not work? The OBM will have rdr.domain.com as it backup server url, it will then be redirected to either server1, server2, server3 which have a different SSL (I think it was after OBM 5.2.7.5 you added some code to validate the SSL your connecting to?) does the OBM handle this ok?

From my tests it seems to work? But I dont want to waste money on another SSL if it HAS to be a wildcard cert

Paul
housey

Postby housey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 am

Have got around to setting up my rdr properly now.

During my tests I dont believe you need a valid SSL for the rdr?

I have obm 5.5.7.0, OBS's running 5.5.7.0 and the rdr is 5.5.7.0

All the OBS have valid SSL's, the rdr just has the dummy lebshema one - I have created an alias of rdr.mydomain.com and am pointing my OBM's at it - and it works fine?

Using the same OBM if I point to an OBS directly but with a valid hostname but not the same as the ssl it fails which I would expect.

Can you just confirm a valid ssl is not required for rdr?
housey

Postby Support3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 pm

A valid SSL cert is not 'required'. It would mainly depends if you do want your end users to be connecting to the AhsayRDR server via HTTPS or HTTP.

When you mentioned creating an alias of rdr.mydomain.com, did you mean creating a DNS alias (CNAME record)? Can I clarify your purpose of creating the DNS alias, if you are using multiple AhsayRDR servers?

Thanks.
Support3

Postby housey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 pm

The OBM's will connect via https

I have a different method of redirecting users to the correct web interface so they will not go near the rdr interface to logon via the web.

My question was really to do with the checks you put into the obm to avoid man in the middle attacks. Where the SSL has to be valid and match the name put in the backup server url.

In the case of the rdr it appears that it will connect to the rdr address regardless of whether its a valid ssl certificate or not.

If this is correct I just dont want to waste money on an SSL cert that is not needed.

Cheers
Paul
housey

Postby Support3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Except if you are using the default dummy Ahsay certificate as it is by default, the certificate on the server (AhsayOBS or RDR) must be valid in order for AhsayOBM to connect to the server via HTTPS.

We understand that your end users will not be aware, or directly be connecting to the AhsayRDR web console. However, they are expecting that their connection from the client application to the server is via HTTPS, we do recommend you to install a valid SSL certificate on the server. Alternatively, if you think the default dummy certificate is valid for your business, then you can leave it as it is. This is not a "requirement" at the application level (the choice is between the default Ahsay cert, and a purchased valid cert).

Thanks.
Support3

Return to AhsayRDR