Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

RDR and API confusion

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRDR

Moderator: Support Team

RDR and API confusion

Postby Profhawking » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi,

I am working on setting up an API based web portal, and am having difficulty understanding how the API works when used with RDR and multiple OBS servers.

In this post: forum.ahsay[dot]com/viewtopic.php?p=16980#16980
Ahsay says you cannot post API requests to RDR server

In this post: forum.ahsay[dot]com/viewtopic.php?p=26705#26705
Ahsay says you can post API requests to RDR server

Which is correct?

Assuming you can send API requests to RDR, can you effectively "ignore" that you have multiple OBS servers, and RDR will automatically determine which server you require?

For example if setup was like this:

RDR
¦
¦>> OBS1 stores accounts A, B, C, D
¦
¦>> OBS2 stores accounts E, F, G, H

If I want to query the amount of space used by account A, i send a request to the RDR server:
RDR/obs/api/GetUser.do?SysUser=system&SysPwd=system&LoginName=A
Then the RDR server will know that user A is on OBS1, and pull the information from OBS1, and return it back to my API script? Is this correct?

Also, if creating a new user with the command:
RDR/obs/api/AddUser.do?SysUser=system&SysPwd=system&LoginName=I&Password=abc&Alias=NewAccount....
Which OBS server will the new account (I) be created on?

I hope somebody can clarify for me!
Thanks
Profhawking

Postby stonebridge » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:23 am

The RDR does not accept api request for creating and modifying user accounts. Your backend software should keep track of users and which OBS server they reside.
KorComputing.com is a leading provider of Ahsay Backup Servers and Ahsay Replication.

http://www.korcomputing.com
stonebridge

Postby Profhawking » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 am

Ok thanks for clarifying.

I wonder why there are RDR specific things mentioned in the API documentation though... maybe something they'll add later.
Profhawking

Return to AhsayRDR