Moderator: Support Team

RDR

Postby robgratt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 am

I'm trying to get my head around RDR.

In the user guide it shows a sort of data flow diagram with the caption:

i. send request to AhsayRDR
ii. reply to the client which backup server should connect
iii. connect to the corresponding backup server

How is the relationship set up between the client and the "corresponding backup server"?

I can't see anywhere is a table, or whatever, that, for example, maps a username to a server ip address.

Rob
robgratt

Re: RDR

Postby millhaus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm

robgratt wrote:I'm trying to get my head around RDR.

In the user guide it shows a sort of data flow diagram with the caption:

i. send request to AhsayRDR
ii. reply to the client which backup server should connect
iii. connect to the corresponding backup server

How is the relationship set up between the client and the "corresponding backup server"?

I can't see anywhere is a table, or whatever, that, for example, maps a username to a server ip address.

Rob

I am also currently burning my head with the RDR.

After asking Ahsay times how connection will be established, I did own tests.

What I know so far.
RDR
+ only one URL will be needed for OBM customers to connect to
- even though RDR is redirecting the request, it only does tell the OBM client the URL/address of the corresponding OBS server the OBM customer has its account.
--> thus, each OBS does still needs an external WAN IP, so each OBS server still needs a routable external IP to be accessible via internet.

I could only get the redirecting done when I am in the same logical local subnet.

On the manual of Ahsay on page 31 you see that each backup server needs to be accessive by its own A-record!

I am actually a bit disappointed by Ahsay RDR because it does only "look" into OBS API where the OBM account is and does not act as a router.

If somebody has other facts about RDR, please tell us!
millhaus

Postby lasseoe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 pm

That's how RDR works.

It's a very very VERY simple piece of software, way overpriced. It does pretty much what the name says, "redirect", not proxy or masquerade.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby robgratt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Oh well - back to the drawing bouard...

Rob
robgratt

Postby millhaus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 pm

1.Who is using the RDR so far in productie environment?

2.Any experiences/wise tipps?

We plan to use currently a RDR with 2x OBS.

3.Do you have hardware recommendation for this device? Regarding its function, I guess the RDR shouldn't need more than 1-2 cores with about 2 GB RAM or less for a bit redirection of OBM client requests?

4.What methods do you know setting up the RDR as a cluster? Could you use a NLB cluster i.e.?
millhaus

Postby lasseoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Use it in production, on a tiny VM with 1 vCore and I think 1GB memory, obviously on Linux. Have not had any real problems with RDR 5.5.8.0
It doesn't need any CPU to speak of, only a bit of memory.

Dunno if you can run RDR in a cluster, ask Ahsay. I've cloned my RDR VM and have it dormant on another box, so can have it up and running in a matter of seconds or worst case minutes.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby millhaus » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

What about OEM partners who use RDR and multiple OBS:

1.Is it really the fact that for each OBS you need an extra Public WAN IP?
If you have i.e. 1x RDR and 2x OBS --> you need 3 Public WAN IPs?

2.Isn't there a way to reduce the amount of using multiple Public IP addresses? Because IPv4 addresses are going out and are expensive.

3.I.e.: Using Static NAT (1 Public IP address) which resolves - depending on the URL request - it to the different OBS with Private IPs.
You could test such scenarios with MS ISA server wich does route the external traffic to multiple OBS internal.
--> Multiple CNAMe records onto one A-Record, depending on the URI https-requests, the ISA server does connect to the internal OBS servers.
millhaus

Postby lasseoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:45 pm

1. Yes

2. Yes, but they are generally not hard to get, as long as you can justify your need.

You can run all your OBS servers behind a single public IP as long as they are on different ports - RDR supports using different ports (not tested it).

You really should read the RDR docs and try out the product.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby millhaus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

lasseoe wrote:You can run all your OBS servers behind a single public IP as long as they are on different ports - RDR supports using different ports (not tested it).

2. We want to spare as much free public IPv4 addresses as possible. When we are building up our OBS farm, our need of public IPs would grow.

I did read the manual - but the functions and the actual IP scenarios are IMO very bad documented, they funnily also reversed CNAME- with A-Records.

I am currently trying to get RDR-OBS-cluster working under different ports:
RDR Port 443 https
OBS1 Port 446 https
OBS2 Port 447 https

Enabling the cluster did work so far on RDR and OBS, but the login does not work so far via RDR, thus it does not "tell" the OBM to connect to https://obs1:446

Any ideas? Do I have to set something in RDR or in config to enable this because I cannot find anything in the manual.
millhaus

Postby stonebridge » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 am

but the login does not work so far via RDR

Is this OBM or when you login as a user on the RDR url?

Jim
KorComputing.com is a leading provider of Ahsay Backup Servers and Ahsay Replication.

http://www.korcomputing.com
stonebridge

Postby millhaus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

stonebridge wrote:
but the login does not work so far via RDR

Is this OBM or when you login as a user on the RDR url?

Jim

OBM client login and also RDR webaccess login.
But now I got it working, running i.e. following scenario:
You need to change the server.xml file and also check if all Ahsay Hostnames are like the RDR hostname.

RDR - 443
OBS1 - 60001
OBS2 - 60002

But this worked so far only internally in LAN, WAN wouldn't run in our case because our firewall would block https-traffic if it isn't done via port 443 (smart intelligence filter blabla)

Thus, we will use separate public IPs for our servers even though it should be possible to get it running with only 1 public IP
millhaus

Return to AhsayRDR