Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Safe to delete retention snapshots from RPS storage?

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRPS

Moderator: Support Team

Safe to delete retention snapshots from RPS storage?

Postby jazar » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 pm

When using the RPS retention feature, it creates dated snapshot directories on the replicated storage disk. On occasions when disk space is running low on one of the replication disk, we will delete one of the older snapshots to free up space.

Assuming that I don't need to recover replication data from two or three snapshots old, is it safe to delete an older snapshot?

What if I need to recover from one of the more current snapshots? Is the current snapshot complete, or does it depend on data stored in older snapshots?

This statement from page 27 of the RPS Admin guide is what concerns me:

"Only the first version of a file uploaded to AhsayRPS is stored in a related
snapshot located in the retention area"

I have found that changing the retention parameters doesn't delete the snapshots, even if you restart RPS. You have to wait for the next clean up job to run, which is midnight or after. So I am asking these questions to see if deleting individual snapshot directories directly from the replication storage is a viable alternative to free up space when you can't wait for the cleanup job to run.
jazar

Re: Safe to delete retention snapshots from RPS storage?

Postby bmaiers » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm

I would like to know the answer to this, too...
Bob
bmaiers

Re: Safe to delete retention snapshots from RPS storage?

Postby manto.lee » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am

Hi,

Regarding the replication retention enquiry, can you please contact our supports to work with you on this? They will assist once they have studied your environment. Please submit your case through our partner portal at https://www.ahsay.com/partners
Manto Lee
Ahsay Forum Support Team
manto.lee

Return to AhsayRPS