Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

RPS Compression / SSL

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRPS

Moderator: Support Team

RPS Compression / SSL

Postby PG » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:36 am

Has anybody figured out how to turn off Compression and SSL over RPS?

Surely compression and SSL is completely pointless. the Data on your OBS server is already compressed and encrypted, attempting to further compress and encrypt this data is a complete waste of CPU overhead.

I'm re-trialling RPS and finding the throughput over our WAN (gigabit fibre between 2 cities) doesnt exceed over 30mbps. Under robocopy and rsync this used to burst to 300-400mb/s
PG

Re: RPS Compression / SSL

Postby Support3 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello,

Q:Has anybody figured out how to turn off Compression and SSL over RPS? Surely compression and SSL is completely pointless. the Data on your OBS server is already compressed and encrypted, attempting to further compress and encrypt this data is a complete waste of CPU overhead.

As the data on OBS is already compressed and encrypted, it is not compressed and encrypted again when it is replicated from OBS to RPS. But the connection between OBS and RPS is a SSL connection, as the OBS configuration files such as server.xml, obs.xml, Profile.xml, and logs files are not stored in an compressed and encrypted on OBS.

Q:I'm re-trialling RPS and finding the throughput over our WAN (gigabit fibre between 2 cities) doesnt exceed over 30mbps. Under robocopy and rsync this used to burst to 300-400mb/s

Replication speed is not just dependent on connection bandwidth between OBS and RPS, factors such as the disk I/O performance on both the OBS and RPS servers will affect the throughput as well as routine jobs such as Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) Checking, weekly Rebuild User Storage etc.

Please refer to "Chapter 3.4 Replication Performance Tuning" of our AhsayRPS Administrator's guide viewtopic.php?f=94&t=9785
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby choldsworth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:01 am

Support3 wrote:Q:I'm re-trialling RPS and finding the throughput over our WAN (gigabit fibre between 2 cities) doesnt exceed over 30mbps. Under robocopy and rsync this used to burst to 300-400mb/s

Replication speed is not just dependent on connection bandwidth between OBS and RPS, factors such as the disk I/O performance on both the OBS and RPS servers will affect the throughput as well as routine jobs such as Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) Checking, weekly Rebuild User Storage etc.

Please refer to "Chapter 3.4 Replication Performance Tuning" of our AhsayRPS Administrator's guide viewtopic.php?f=94&t=9785

While what you say is true - that there are other factors than just connection bandwidth - with all things equal, we would expect that RPS would be at least as fast as robocopy/rsync are. Does RPS not use multithreading? There must be some reason why it is so much slower.
choldsworth

Postby PG » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:38 am

Support3 wrote:Hello,

Q:Has anybody figured out how to turn off Compression and SSL over RPS? Surely compression and SSL is completely pointless. the Data on your OBS server is already compressed and encrypted, attempting to further compress and encrypt this data is a complete waste of CPU overhead.

As the data on OBS is already compressed and encrypted, it is not compressed and encrypted again when it is replicated from OBS to RPS. But the connection between OBS and RPS is a SSL connection, as the OBS configuration files such as server.xml, obs.xml, Profile.xml, and logs files are not stored in an compressed and encrypted on OBS.

Q:I'm re-trialling RPS and finding the throughput over our WAN (gigabit fibre between 2 cities) doesnt exceed over 30mbps. Under robocopy and rsync this used to burst to 300-400mb/s

I have read this manual in the past, but in order to 'optimize' RPS comes at a significant cost,

1) user homes on a single large disk, on 4TB volumes this restricts you to about 3.6TB on a single user home, in order for redundancy you would need RAID1 which becomes a very expensive model.

2) avoiding UNC paths, our model has a number of windows hosts with 40TB storage in RAID6, the OBS servers are guests within the host and use a UNC path back to the host, yes it's a UNC path but across a virtual switch on the same host, no latency or I/O loss.

3) Java heap size , we have always used between 4-6gb of java heap size on all OBS / RPS servers.

Either way there is no reason why RPS should not perform as well as another model on the same environment, but it barely reaches 10% of the performance of another replication model
PG

Postby Support3 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 am

choldsworth wrote:
Support3 wrote:Q:I'm re-trialling RPS and finding the throughput over our WAN (gigabit fibre between 2 cities) doesnt exceed over 30mbps. Under robocopy and rsync this used to burst to 300-400mb/s

While what you say is true - that there are other factors than just connection bandwidth - with all things equal, we would expect that RPS would be at least as fast as robocopy/rsync are. Does RPS not use multithreading? There must be some reason why it is so much slower.

Yes, replication in v6 uses a single thread. But the biggest performance bottleneck is AhsayOBS disk I/O.
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby lasseoe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Support3 wrote:
Yes, replication in v6 uses a single thread. But the biggest performance bottleneck is AhsayOBS disk I/O.

You can never max out decent storage with a single thread. Pretty much all storage systems will give you better over all performance if you use multithreaded applications, either a single app with multiple threads, or a lot of single threaded apps.

Regardless of what you do, a single thread will never be able to get the most out of cpu, memory, storage etc. This is how all modern systems are built, from a single-thread point of view, a cpu, memory or storage system (> ~5 disks) will scale horizontally.

I'll gladly setup a training course, email me for a quote.
Lasse
lasseoe

Return to AhsayRPS