Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

[Feature][OBS/RPS] Replication through multiple TCP threads

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRPS

Moderator: Support Team

Postby intrikrakin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:53 am

Sajid, you seem to keep trying to argue with me for some reason. I won't indulge.

I will however say that any topics discussing my business models have been accompanied by ACTUAL answers to peoples questions on topics that I have knowledge in and believe I would be helping users.

It seems you keep trying to insinuate that I am merly trolling these forums doing little more than "hey look at me" posts.

I'll remind you again that I am an Ahsay partner. My company is listed with all the other Ahsay partners in the partners list just like I'm sure yours is.

If you'd like to discuss things further please email me directly. I'd like this thread to actually get back on topic.
Backup & Replication server solutions
http://www.korcomputing.com/
intrikrakin

Postby Support3 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Dear partners, please keep the conversation strictly within the topic of the enhancement request.

Again, as mentioned by our development representative.

Nelsonn wrote:The request of multiple thread for replication is already in our enhancement queue for some time. There is no given date for this feature request because there are a lot of uncertainties for this request, such as the impact of this change on AhsayOBS/RPS. We have scheduled a time in Q3 2009 to do a comprehensive feasibility study on this feature.

We have given the highest priority to this request already.

intrikrakin, while you may not accept the targeted date for the feasibility study, we have already given the highest priority to this request. Please do not question the priority of this request in every post(s) related to AhsayRPS transfer rate. We are fully aware of the needs and importance of this feature.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby cfn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Now I see a big problem. There is no way I'm gonna accept having a RPS server that is not up to date in a month or so just beacuse Ahsay can't deliver a product that is fast enough.

Anyone have experience from other products? What is the fastest and most cost effective solution?
I have about 6TB of data that need to be replicated.

FileCatalyst may be a good candidate but I don't have $5000 to spend.

Please feel free to advise.
cfn

Postby sdetroch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:39 am

We want a faster replication as well. We have a 20 mbps connection between the master and slave site, but we only get about 8 mbps replication. Network, cpu usage .... = low.

sven
sdetroch

info

Postby hakalugi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 am

"FileCatalyst may be a good candidate but I don't have $5000 to spend"

are there any best practices for using a file level (or volume level) method for replicating at a higher rate of speed?

ie: "make sure you're synchronously replicating directories X, Y, Z ..."

assuming the method and bandwidth support the need, what 'parts' would need to be done?

then what files on the far side would need to be modified so that it represents a "2nd host" (the RPS) not a perfect copy of the OBS -- assume this can be done over 100Mbps VPN.

thanks.
hakalugi

Postby Gulkings » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 am

sdetroch wrote:We want a faster replication as well. We have a 20 mbps connection between the master and slave site, but we only get about 8 mbps replication. Network, cpu usage .... = low.

sven

Same connection here, but replication is somewhere between 5-7Mbps... Really, really bad....:(

What's the status on this major issue?

/Gulkings
Gulkings

Postby EnlightIT_Jesper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:15 am

viewtopic.php?p=14146#14146

I for one, is REALLY interested in this solution!
EnlightIT_Jesper

q3 2009

Postby hakalugi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 am

they've said over and over it's in the pipeline for Q3 2009 review.

so for those of us with san replicaiton capabilities that aren't crippled with the app-level tcp thread count...

i'll reiterate:

"then what files on the far side would need to be modified so that it represents a "2nd host" (the RPS) not a perfect copy of the OBS -- assume this can be done over 100Mbps VPN. "

aka: assuming we mount the 2 OBS paths (\app and \users) on LUNS that will be snapshotted and sent away, we can bring things back online the far side in the event of a primary site failure.

a list of what to modify and how would be a pretty simple work around by Ahsay support staff...
hakalugi

Postby Support3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Dear partners, we are aware of the needs and importance of this feature. While we would like to have this reviewed as soon as possible, there are other AhsayRPS enhancement which we are currently working on.

We have scheduled a time in Q3 2009 to do a comprehensive feasibility study on this feature, with the highest priority.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby dancerdog3 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:18 am

Anybody find a good workaround to keep the RPS up to date?

I have used Super Flexible File Sync http://www.superflexible.com/ on my OBS/RPS (both Win 2003). This seems to be able to sync much faster than the Ahsay process.
dancerdog3

Re: [Feature][OBS/RPS] Replication through multiple TCP threads

Postby sdetroch » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:58 pm

We are 5 year later and we still (only) get about 8 mbps replication traffic between master/slave where the capacity of the line is 20 mbps.
But I must say as well, that with the latest RPS versions, RPS is more stable than previously.
sdetroch

Re: [Feature][OBS/RPS] Replication through multiple TCP threads

Postby Support3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:30 pm

sdetroch wrote:We are 5 year later and we still (only) get about 8 mbps replication traffic between master/slave where the capacity of the line is 20 mbps.
But I must say as well, that with the latest RPS versions, RPS is more stable than previously.

AhsayOBS/AhsayRPS v7 replication will be done using multiple threads.

Also, there will be an alpha release available by the end of Feb 2015 for partners to install and preview.

Please subscribe to our RSS feed http://www.ahsay.com/rss/technical-updates.rss
Support3

PreviousNext

Return to AhsayRPS