Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

How can you have one OBS replicate to multiple RPS?

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRPS

Moderator: Support Team

How can you have one OBS replicate to multiple RPS?

Postby aslam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:12 am

How can you have one OBS replicate to multiple RPS? For example, I have one RPS in the same data centre where my OBS is for convenience in case the OBS fails and I need to get the data back quickly. I also have another RPS in a separate data centre in another city and I want the data backup up to there for extra protection. How do I do that?

Thanks,
Aslam
aslam

My design

Postby kairobin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:07 am

Hi

My design is at follows:
OBS is running on a server and policy and user home is on another storage SAN1. This SAN1 takes rsync jobs to SAN2 in the same datacenter.
And SAN2 takes a new RSYNC to SAN3 that is in another datacenter.

So worst case scenario.
1. I lost my server:
Then I install a new one, fix the license, and update the path and restart OBS Service

2. I lost my SAN:
I redirect the path to SAN2, then restart the service.

RPS Server is also running on another datacenter.
I hope that this was understandable.

And there is no way that you can use the RPS function to two servers.
kairobin

Postby PG » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:58 am

the solution is to not use RPS
PG

so i am not alone

Postby kairobin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 am

So there are others who does not like to use the RPS solution as a backup solution:)
kairobin

Postby lasseoe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:16 am

Let the SAN do the replication, works well for us.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby jabeen100 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Here is really awesome and most exciting publish. I completely believe the fact with you and would like to say thanks to you that you discuss this publish here with us. Keep it proceed please.
jabeen100

publish?

Postby kairobin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:23 pm

What do you mean? Publish The info about not use The rps server?
kairobin

Postby PG » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:21 am

RPS is just not well designed, and therefore not reliable:

Flaw #1 it does not replicate the indexes (.bdb's) it is expected that your OBS server will rebuild these on the fly at next backup, good luck with your OBS server keeping up when 200+ clients hit the server at the default 9pm schedule slot

Flaw #2-3-4 RPS Modes - as I understand it Below

UNSYNC - Replication of the OBS server configuration data and logs

*flaw - This is not critical customer data

SYNC - This is where the OBS server and RPS server do a 1-for-1 comparison and sync.

*flaw - during this process no new data is being put on your RPS server, instead it is backlogged on your OBS server and stored as .alf files, if you have OBS installed on your system disk, expect this to fill up your hard drive, depending on the volume of data this can take several weeks to complete, meaning if you lost your OBS server hardware during this time, your RPS data could be weeks behind

LOGGING - First stage of this mode is to replay all the backlogged .alf files choking your system disk whilst SYNC mode and once completed does a real-time sync of OBS data. this is the ONLY time your OBS and RPS server are actually in sync.

*flaw if your OBS / RPS connectivity suffers any interruption whatsoever, the whole process starts in UNSYNC mode again. Also a UNSYNC is triggered every few weeks which starts the whole process again.

So if you want to go see how good RPS actually is, RPS processes accounts in Alphabetical (upper / lower case) order, have a look in your replicated data, a user in the w-z area, into the files\{backupsetid} folder and see what the last date stamped folder is, your replication is usually 1 day older than that (the current folder) RPS may be OK in small scale, but when you ramp it up it becomes completely unsuitable.
PG

Re: How can you have one OBS replicate to multiple RPS?

Postby darla » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:07 pm

I would like to monitor the status of replication (SYNC, UNSYNC) with script / Nagios.
Where is this information stored? How can I check?
darla

Re: How can you have one OBS replicate to multiple RPS?

Postby Support3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Hello Darla,

You can easily obtain the AhsayOBS replication status; DISABLED, UNSYNC, SYNC, or LOGGING using the "GetReplicationMode" API.

You can find the details on Chapter 25.23 of our AhsayOBS Administrator's Guide viewtopic.php?f=94&t=9778
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Return to AhsayRPS