Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Ahsay ACB on OS/X Yosemite???

Discuss technical questions on AhsayACB

Moderator: Support Team

Re: Ahsay ACB on OS/X Yosemite???

Postby doon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:22 pm

In trying to get ACB (Customized- 6.23.2.0) on OSX 10.10.2. It keeps insisting that it needs a Java6 Legacy JRE, even though Java 8 (the recommended version for Yosemite) is installed So do we (or customers) really need to install old/unsupported VM , or can ACB work with newer version.
doon

Postby Support3 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:18 pm

doon wrote:In trying to get ACB (Customized- 6.23.2.0) on OSX 10.10.2. It keeps insisting that it needs a Java6 Legacy JRE, even though Java 8 (the recommended version for Yosemite) is installed So do we (or customers) really need to install old/unsupported VM , or can ACB work with newer version.

Hello,

Currently AhsayOBM/AhsayACB requires an older version of Java. Installing an older Java version will not affect any other applications using Java 8.
Support3

Postby johnbar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,

This is an urgent matter.

I am in the same situation as probably a ton of your other end users are. I have an OS X 10.10 Mac Mini server, and just found out that Ahsay OBM apparently requires Java version 6, despite the SCL stating that the recommended Java version is "Java 6 or later" (thereby effectively saying that later versions of Java are supported).

So to sum up the situation, at this point Ahsay is telling us that in order to use their software, on the OS X version that has been the current and released one for *over six months now*, we should run a Java that is 1) no longer supported by neither Oracle nor Apple, 2) full of security issues. Naturally this is a security standard that is not appropriate in any IT industry.

To me this is an absolute outrage. How is is possible that a vendor of backup software, that's actively releasing their software for OS X 10.10, recommends (or for that matter, even considers) their customers to run old and vulnerable stuff to use the product.

Obviously Ahsay should make their software work with Java 8, which is the current Java version (both in general and on OS X 10.10).

Ahsay; What do you have to say about this? And foremost, when can we use a version of OBM that runs on Java 8 on OS X 10.10?

This needs to be fixed now, otherwise we will have to look for other backup solutions, something I'm sure every one of us would like to avoid (as we have better things to spend our time on).

EDIT: To clarify, the latest Java 6 version released for OS X is a version by Apple from 2013. There's been a ton of patches to Java since then. And OS X 10.10 was released in october 2014.

Thanks.
johnbar

Postby yasha » Fri May 01, 2015 4:41 am

It uses Java 6 on windows also. At least the copy of java is private within Ahsay's application directory and does not impact other applications on the system.

More importantly, the ACB/OBM client is behind a trust barrier - i.e. if you can access the ahsay gui or mess with its files, you are already in, java exploits are unnecessary at that point. The worst case is probably local privilege escalation to the user account running the Scheduler service. So maybe it's not that bad.

Also, many of the Java 6 exploits are only in the context of NPAPI applet hosting.

But it's still good to upgrade to a newer version.

Ahsay v7 Development Plan currently states intention to move to Java 7 (which already will no longer recieve security updates as of April 2015).
yasha

Postby johnbar » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 am

Hi yasha,

Thank you for your analysis and comments!

I agree the practical implications of this are limited. But it's still insane that a company dealing with security software such as this (after all, backups have to do with security one way or the other) is encouraging users to install vulnerable software onto their systems, as well as clearly having no interest in fixing this broken attitude as a software vendor.

Seriously, they are asking us to install stuff that hasn't been patched in years. What they SHOULD say is this: "We have made sure that the latest version of the software runs with the current OS and Java versions that are available today, please go download it <here>". Any serious software developer makes sure to not have insecure components in their stack, at least when they know about the state of the components. Surely Ahsay cannot have missed the fact that there's no security updated Java 6 on OS X today.

Regarding the embedded Java, I'm not sure there is one in the OS X version of Ahsay OBM. If there is, it sure isn't used by default on OS X 10.10. You see, when I run the application, OS X asks me to go to the Apple download site for Java 6 from 2013.

I'm not sure what to make of what you say about Ahsay targeting Java 7 in version 7 of their software. Let's hope that this is old information and that they'll go for the current Java 8 instead.

That, by the way, is something that needs more attention too (from Ahsay). As I mentioned earlier, their SCL (Software Compatibility List, or something like that) states that "Java 6 or later" is recommended for Ahsay OBM. This naturally means that later versions of Java 6 should be supported too. So that, and also if what you say about the *current* development plan for Ahsay v7 is true, tells us Ahsay need to get their act together and start paying attention - overall.

It's hard not to be annoyed with this stuff when their information is lacking, documentation is wrong, and security is ignored. I'm curious to hear what Ahsay has to say on this topic. Currently I feel I'm wasting a ton of time on this.

Thanks.
johnbar

Postby johnbar » Thu May 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Ahsay; Why are you not commenting on this? We would like to know why you are still recommending customers to use an outdated and no longer maintained Java version, instead of having made your application support current Java versions when you've had years to do so.
johnbar

Postby Support2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello,

We appreciate and share the concerns raised in this thread.

As part of our on going efforts to improve security and enhance the user experience, our developers are currently working hard on including support for the latest Java versions on Mac OS X platforms.

We are planning to have this feature ready in time for our next official release v6.27.0.0, which will be available at the end of July 2015.

AhsayOBM/AhsayACB v6.27.0.0 will officially support:

1. Java 7 on Mac OS X 10.7.3 or above.
2. Java 8 on Mac OS X 10.8.3 or above.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.
Support2

Previous

Return to AhsayACB