Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Using ACB manual backups work but not scheduled ones?

Discuss technical questions on AhsayACB

Moderator: Support Team

Using ACB manual backups work but not scheduled ones?

Postby nick44 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 am

We are evaluating ACB for backup for our office PC's. Version 6.7.0.0.

When we run a [i]manual[/i] scan the backup runs fine. When we try to run a [i]scheduled[/i] backup however, it comes back with errors.

This is what the backup log shows for a [i]scheduled[/i] backup:

Backup source "C:\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" does not exist!
Backup source "C:\\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" does not exist!

However, when running the backup manually through the ACB client, it properly detects the users' home directory. We've tested this on multiple PC's with the same result. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks
nick44

Postby whittan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 am

Sometimes you need to give the backup schedular more permissions to run.

Open services.msc find "Online Backup Schedular" in the options there will be a logon tab, in there change it to "logon as" and put in the user details of an admin account.
whittan

Postby nick44 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:51 am

thanks for responding. when i go into the backup scheduler service, I see that it is using the SYSTEM service account which has full admin rights on the PC.

So I changed the "logon as" to the user that needs to be backed up, ie MYDOMAIN\ncallonas. However the problem with this is, we have 100 PC's that will need to be backed up, and we have a password rotation policy so the user passwords constantly change. It is impossible to manually go into the service for 100 PC's every 45 days and update their user's password there. So this is not an acceptable solution... I can't imagine other ACB customers having to know each employees password in order to go into the services.msc and update it there???
nick44

bug

Postby nick44 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:33 am

so I've narrowed the issue down a little bit, and think I've found a bug in 6.7.0.0

it's apparently backing up my win. outlook, win. mydocuments, win. favorites, and win. desktop files correctly. But there are other files I'd like to have in the backupset as well, such as the outlook user's nk2 file (something that win. outlook doesn't back up)

sys.user.home is one of the values you can use for a backup source, and when you run a backup job manually it successfully identifies the correct username's home directory. HOWEVER, if the same backupset is run via the scheduler service, it cannot properly identify the user it's supposed to run on. The win. outlook, win. mydocuments, etc work perfectly fine. It is only the sys. user. home value that doesn't work properly from the scheduler.

not sure if there's a solution but the issue isn't as critical now that I know that it's backing up the most important items.
nick44

Re: Using ACB manual backups work but not scheduled ones?

Postby rpresser » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 am

Is there a solution to this issue? The last post was 2 years ago, but I have users getting this error today. We have run a manual backup pre-install of updated application, but normally backups run automatically through Backup Scheduler. OR is this error indicative of a bigger problem/issue? Do we need to be concerned or can we ignore this error? Thanks!
rpresser

Postby Support3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:53 pm

rpresser wrote:Is there a solution to this issue? The last post was 2 years ago, but I have users getting this error today. We have run a manual backup pre-install of updated application, but normally backups run automatically through Backup Scheduler. OR is this error indicative of a bigger problem/issue? Do we need to be concerned or can we ignore this error? Thanks!

Hello,

-Have you checked the OBM/ACB scheduler service is running?
-If the machine is in power saving mode at the time of the scheduled backup?
-The machine name for the backup set has been set correctly?

The following article may of help "FAQ: Troubleshooting problem with missing scheduled backup (2515)" https://forum.ahsay.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10404
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby rpresser » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 am

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly.

Yes, the scheduler is running. The computer is in a docking station so power isn't the issue and the computer name that is store in his User Profile matches the machine name.
rpresser

Postby Support3 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello,

Did you check the corresponding AhsayOBM/AhsayACB debug.log (scheduler log) on the affected machines? To find out why the scheduler is not triggering backup job at the set time.
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby rpresser » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:48 am

The backups are running at the scheduled time and are able to complete with this warning about "the Outlook.nk2 file does not exists." Is this a problem? How can I rectify the issue? Where can I go to exclude from the backup set a file that does not exist?
rpresser

Postby Support3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm

rpresser wrote:The backups are running at the scheduled time and are able to complete with this warning about "the Outlook.nk2 file does not exists." Is this a problem? How can I rectify the issue? Where can I go to exclude from the backup set a file that does not exist?

Hello,

The easiest way to resolve this warning is to unselect this file "the Outlook.nk2" in the AhsayACB backup source.
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby rpresser » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:46 pm

How does a file that does not exist get into the Backup Set? Where did it come from? Should I be concerned that this customer or any other are infected with either malware or a virus?
rpresser

Postby Support3 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Hello,

The file used to exist on the machine but has since been removed this is causing the problem.

We suggest you take a look at the backup source to locate the file and un-select it. The affected file should be highlighted in red.
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Support3

Postby felipe » Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm

I have also a simillar problem:

Schedulle Backup Fail with the error: You are not allowed to run scheduled backup with incorrect Windows User Authentication information., Reason = “ (1326)

Manual fix: Open ACB client, click on backup sets, and enter the user/password.

The problem is when you have 800 clients you can not do this for every user, plus every 3 months we have password change enforced, it would be impossible to manage.

So is there a better solution? The service runs under "Local System" account but it get the: "incorrect Windows User Authentication"

please help us find a solution.
felipe

Postby Richard Au » Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 pm

felipe wrote:I have also a simillar problem:

Schedulle Backup Fail with the error: You are not allowed to run scheduled backup with incorrect Windows User Authentication information., Reason = “ (1326)

Manual fix: Open ACB client, click on backup sets, and enter the user/password.

The problem is when you have 800 clients you can not do this for every user, plus every 3 months we have password change enforced, it would be impossible to manage.

So is there a better solution? The service runs under "Local System" account but it get the: "incorrect Windows User Authentication"

please help us find a solution.

For your information, there is no workaround for this. If you need further information regarding this, please submit your case through our ticket system at https://ahsay.com/jsp/en/contact/kbQuestion.jsp
Richard Au
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Richard Au

Postby felipe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 pm

2 years and this BUG is still here!?

I spent one month with the support team, and untill now nobody could help me do a Very Simple Backup Filter:
Like other users, when run manualy it detects a simple OS enviroment variable %USERPROFILE%

We just need help to backup under %USERPROFILE%\Documents %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

When it ran from schedulle backup we get the error:
Same error for all of our users:

Filter Top Directory "C:\\Documents" does not exist!
Filter Top Directory "C:\\Desktop" does not exist!

PLEASE HELP
felipe

Next

Return to AhsayACB