Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Support for Openstack/Cloudstack/Onapp Hypervisor level backups

Discuss any other technical questions here

Moderator: Support Team

Support for Openstack/Cloudstack/Onapp Hypervisor level backups

Postby netriplex » Wed May 28, 2014 6:19 am

Is there a way to backup entire virtual servers that are deployed on Openstack/Cloudstack/or OnApp similar to functionality of Hyper-V / VMWare "hypervisor level" backups? Maybe not the same point and click type of situation, but is there a way to do it?
netriplex

Re: Support for Openstack/Cloudstack/Onapp Hypervisor level backups

Postby stonebridge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 pm

The unfortunate thing is that each of those can use multiple Hypervisors. VMware, KVM, Xen, and HyperV. If your stack is running on top of VMware or HyperV you can do that now. I believe you could setup Ahsay to backup the backup node of OnApp.

Thanks!

Greg
KorComputing.com is a leading provider of Ahsay Backup Servers and Ahsay Replication.

http://www.korcomputing.com
stonebridge

Postby netriplex » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:51 pm

True they can.

I guess I was more specifically referring to the KVM hypervisor.
netriplex

Postby jblancet » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:14 pm

I've been backing up KVM for a while, though it's not nightly. I just load an OBM on the node and use the pre-post command to pause the VM. On cluster nodes, if you use a shared account, you can just use cluster service commands. You have to get create sometimes, but it works for what I'm doing.

I have not setup openstack yet, though I have heard that it may be supported in the future.
jblancet

Return to Others