Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Low Cost Storage Solutions

Discuss any other technical questions here

Moderator: Support Team

Low Cost Storage Solutions

Postby murry_c » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 am

I am looking for feedback on the lowest cost storage solutions for OBS and RPS. Currently I am using an older nStor Raid enclosure that connects via external SCSI port. My OBS and RPS each have an nStor with 4TB of space, but I am needing more space. My revenues have been dropping while competing with other services like Carbonite, just spending more on storage is turning out to be tough. So my question is, what is the lowest cost solutions for having storage over 4TB? I would want RAID for sure. For the 4TB of space that I have, I have settled for RAID5.

I have looked at LaCie products as they seem to be low cost NAS solutions, but I wondered what other providers were using.
murry_c

Postby kspare » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 pm

I've used thecus, and they are so so... I've been using qnap and they work very very well!
kspare

135 TB

Postby Britt BF » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 pm

You can make a Backblaze Storage Pod 2.0.... 135TB, but it's linux base.
Britt BF

Postby millhaus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm

QNAP or Synology are AFAIK "best" NAS producers which are relatively cost-effective and fast for the price.

I wouldn't use Raid5 for OBS/RPS. I would at least use an R6 array. The chance of a disk loss is very high with R5 (the more disks you have, the higher the danger)
millhaus

Postby gobackup » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 am

We've had terrible experiences with QNAP. Can you please tell me how you use QNAP with Ahsay?
Ex: Do you use iSCSI or SMB (Windows Shares) or NFS or something else?

(Personally, we've found that often the QNAP will just go offline. We've tried both iSCSI and SMB.)
gobackup

Postby millhaus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm

gobackup wrote:We've had terrible experiences with QNAP. Can you please tell me how you use QNAP with Ahsay?
Ex: Do you use iSCSI or SMB (Windows Shares) or NFS or something else?

(Personally, we've found that often the QNAP will just go offline. We've tried both iSCSI and SMB.)

We do use QNAP for Ahsay.
iSCSI of course! We currently use the MS initiator for the connections.

Which models? We currently use TS-809 TS-859 series with 8-bay and dual-core atom and latest FW-version.

We only had some issues for RPS loosing iSCSI-connection to a QNAP after each reboot. After a FW-upgrade it seems to be working
millhaus

Return to Others