Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Look For Help w/ Virtualization and Migration

Discuss any other technical questions here

Moderator: Support Team

Look For Help w/ Virtualization and Migration

Postby eTiTUS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:26 am

We're looking to make the move from our physical servers at the colo to a virtualized setup at some place like Rackspace. They have an amazing deal where you only pay for outgoing bandwidth, which makes running backup servers there very attractive.

However the issue is the migration. Our clients would be flexible on the downtime so if we needed a few days that wouldn't be an issue. However I didn't know if Ahsay had at tool for this. Something that would export all our OBS clients into neat little packages that we could put on a series of drives and overnight them to their new home perhaps? I could figure a way to move the data, the issue is managing it.

I'm not ashamed to admit I don't have a lot of experience with this. I'm open to any suggestion or feedback anyone can offer, I just need some help.
eTiTUS

Postby PG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:32 am

I've migrated OBS servers across platform / domains many times

How many users are we talking about here?

Do you have the bandwidth to copy the data over the net from the old server to the new?

The 'easiest' way to to this with minimal downtime is by running both old and new servers parallel and behind a redirector, then simply replicate each user to the new server one by one. Depending on the number of users you might get away with being able to do it using a RDR evaluation licence.
PG

Postby eTiTUS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 pm

PG this is actually what I was thinking. We're talking about 20 clients. What if I just setup the new server and started making new backups there, then if for some reason a client needed a backup within the first couple weeks I could retrieve it off the old server. 99% of the time they never need access to the data. The clients backup is in that horrible "what if" my company burns to the ground, or computer blows up. If I could straddle the new setup and the old setup for just a few weeks, I could establish enough backup data to make the jump to the new server.

However if that seems like a bad idea, and I need to transfer all the data, is there an export feature? Or if you could share how you do it?
eTiTUS

Postby PG » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 am

there is not an export feature as such, but if you ran a looping rsync or robocopy script from one server to the other then it would after a few loops be in sync.

The other option (fingers crossed) would be to enable RDR on them and let them sync themselves then 'roll over' to your RDR server. Id recommend scheduling the 'User storage rebuild' job as soon as you rolled over, but the number of customers is not significant enough to make an impact.
PG

Postby stonebridge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Paul is right. Best solution is to use an RDR. We have done some migrations using Ahsay's RPS. Simply wait until the OBS is in logging and flip.

You will need to rebuild the indexes, but if your new server has good disk IO, it should not be a problem.

Thanks!

Greg
KorComputing.com is a leading provider of Ahsay Backup Servers and Ahsay Replication.

http://www.korcomputing.com
stonebridge

Return to Others