Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Moving File Share to New Server

Discuss issues about AhsayOBM's File / General backup and restore

Moderator: Support Team

Moving File Share to New Server

Postby Steve0 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Hey there

We're looking at replacing a file server for a client. All file shares are being moved from one host to the new one. We're hoping to avoid having to create a new backup set and lose the existing retention period. What is the best way to move the backup set from the old server to the new one, retaining the retention period?

Is it as simple as installing OBM on the new server and ticking the box "run from this server" on the particular job set?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve0

Re: Moving File Share to New Server

Postby Richard Au » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Steve,

To migrate backup set from one server to another without re-uploading all files, you may wish to have a look following article for instruction.

FAQ: How to migrate backup source (of an existing backup set) on the client computer without re-uploading all backed up data? (2565)
https://forum.ahsay.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 373#p39609
Richard Au
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Richard Au

Re: Moving File Share to New Server

Postby Steve0 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately the article applies to moving backup sets between different locations on the same server. I've made use of this particular technique a few times. In this instance we're replacing a file server from Windows 2003 to 2012R2. File content/security will remain the same but server/operating system/computer name will differ.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit: My mistake, I missed the section about ComputerA/ComputerB, will give that a shot. Many thanks!
Steve0

Return to File / General