Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Upgrade to v7, point to Azure storage

Discuss any issues related to Microsoft Azure here.

Moderator: Support Team

Upgrade to v7, point to Azure storage

Postby chris_nager » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:30 am

Hi there, we currently have Ahsay 6 running for hundreds of clients successfully. We also have Ahsay 7 running for 2 clients which we have created on there from scratch and they are using Azure storage as the destination.

We are happy with the way v7 is working so far and especially the cost saving with using Azure storage and would like to upgrade our Ahsay6 servers to Ahsay7 so that we can use Azure storage for all, though I have been unable to find out if when the upgrade is done and OBM's are auto updated, will the storage automatically point to Azure storage or will it be a case of having to manually logging into each client's OBM and picking the new destination?

This will be critical to deciding if we proceed with the upgrade or not and any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Chris
chris_nager

Re: Upgrade to v7, point to Azure storage

Postby Richard Au » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Chris,

Appreciated for your endorsement of V7. Stay tune the new release V7.9 will include more features which will more delighted your customer.

Regarding your question about auto update OBM clients, you can refer to chapter 6 of the AhsayCBS v7 Upgrade/Migration Guide at:

http://download.ahsay.com/support/docum ... pgrade.pdf

If you need to your backup clients pointing to Azure storage after the upgrade, it is required to change or add the Azure storage destination to backup set manually.

Should you have further inquires, please feel free to consult our support engineer by submitting through our ticket system at https://ahsay.com/jsp/en/contact/kbQuestion.jsp
Richard Au
Ahsay Forum Support Team
Richard Au

Postby chris_nager » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately it seems then that this is not suitable for us to move all of our current AhSayOBS users over to CBS as the manual work required would not be feasible. We will just continue to use the CBS for new users we bring on board which is perfectly fine.

Thanks again,
Chris
chris_nager

Postby housey » Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi Chris

Apologies for replying to an old post.

I have been looking at using Azure storage as a pre defined destination due to the potential cost savings and ease of scalability.

My testing has gone fairly well but just wondered how you were finding it in a production environment?

Do you ever hit any limits on the Azure storage? are you using hot or cold storage?

Any advice/experience you can share appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
housey

Postby MFGUKLTD » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I am using AhSay CBS v7 in a production environment, using Azure storage. At this present time I am using a "Standard-General" type storage account, and will soon be moving to "Standard-Blob" type. (I know I cannot change the type).

I have noticed no major problems with using the Azure appliance and Azure storage.

However, there are a few caveats which may not be noticable until later on.

1. per user account, the individual storage quota does not apply, and therefore the threshold alert does not apply. The quota is set on the storage setting under the policy options, and allocates this amount to EVERY user account.

2. I only have 1x storage account, in which AhSay then creates 1x container. Within the container, all the backup client folders are. In order for you to use the "Hot" or "Cold" tiers, you will be automatically be using "Standard-Blob" type. When Azure send out your bill, you will see storage charges as well as 'data management' charges (which should be negligible)

But, in relation to this, I have NOT got any clients in the "Standard-Blob" storage account, so I don't know how the write and read operations affect the bill.

If anyone else has any other thoughts/experience, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,
MFGUKLTD

Return to Microsoft Azure