Existing partner, login to
Partner Portal

Discussion Forum

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions about AhsayUBS (2361)

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions about AhsayUBS (2361)

Postby admin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Article ID: 2361
Reviewed: 02/05/2014

Product Version:
Ahsay Software: Pre-7.3.2.0

Description:
Frequently Asked Questions about AhsayUBS.

Table of Contents:

1. What is AhsayUBS?
  2. What version of AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS is supported by AhsayUBS?
  3. Is AhsayRPS supported by AhsayUBS?
  4. Can I use an evaluation AhsayRPS license key on AhsayUBS?
  5. Is AhsayRDR supported by AhsayUBS?
  6. Will AhsayBBF and AhsayUBS be supported by Ahsay simultaneously?
  7. Can I upgrade my AhsayBBF to AhsayUBS?
  8. Can I use an existing AhsayOBS license key on AhsayUBS?
  9. Can I use an existing AhsayBBF license key on AhsayUBS?
  10. Can pool key generated from the Ahsay License Management Portal (LMP) be used on AhsayUBS?
  11. Can I use a free AhsayOBS license key on AhsayUBS?
  12. Can I brand the AhsayUBS image via the Customization Portal (CPS)?
  13. I cannot change the root password via SSH?
  14. Can I install additional services or configure existing services on the operating system in AhsayUBS?
  15. Can I change the default AhsayUBS file system?
  16. How do I configure the User Home or System Home on AhsayUBS to point to a network storage device using either NFS or Samba protocols?

1. What is AhsayUBS?

Answer) Ahsay Universal Backup System (AhsayUBS) is an operating system platform already bundled with AhsayOBS, which allows you to instantly convert any barebones server into an enterprise backup appliance.

Its supported installation modes included DVD, ISO image, USB stick, and CF card.

• AhsayUBS support i386 and amd64 processor architecture only
    • AhsayUBS is based on FreeBSD 8.2-stable release
    • AhsayUBS allows for support of a greater range of hardware devices (e.g. motherboard, chipsets, disk controller, network cards)
    • AhsayUBS includes additional support for iSCSI drives as well as RAID 0, 1, 5, and JBOD

2. What version of AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS is supported by AhsayUBS?

Answer) AhsayUBS supports AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS version 5.5.7.2 or above.

3. Is AhsayRPS supported by AhsayUBS?

Answer) Yes, AhsayRPS is supported by AhsayUBS. However, you must apply an AhsayRPS OEM license key, which requires a payment of a platform fee.

Please contact our Sales Representative for further details.

4. Can I use an evaluation AhsayRPS license key on AhsayUBS?

Answer) For AhsayUBS version 1.3.0.0 or above, you will need an AhsayRPS license key with AhsayUBS module enabled in order for the AhsayRPS service to function.

Please contact our Sales Representative for a special AhsayRPS evaluation key.

Note:
    If a default evaluation license key is applied to AhsayRPS on AhsayUBS version 1.3.0.0 or above, an error message 'AhsayUBS module is not enabled. License Error. Server Stopped.' will be displayed.

5. Is AhsayRDR supported by AhsayUBS?

Answer) No, AhsayRDR is not supported by AhsayUBS. Currently, only AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS version 5.5.7.2 or above is supported.

6. Will AhsayBBF and AhsayUBS be supported by Ahsay simultaneously?

Answer) For support information for AhsayBBF and AhsayUBS:

• AhsayBBF will support new AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS versions for the 5.5.x series only
    • AhsayBBF will not support AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS version 6.0 or above
    There will be no further firmware enhancement for AhsayBBF, all future firmware and AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS development will be on AhsayUBS.

7. Can I upgrade my AhsayBBF to AhsayUBS?

Answer) There is no direct upgrade path from AhsayBBF to AhsayUBS.

Exisitng AhsayBBF users will have to install AhsayUBS on another machine and either migrate the existing user home data to the AhsayUBS server or use the existing AhsayBBF machine as a network storage device.

Note:
    Extra platform fee is required for conversion from AhsayBBF to AhsayUBS. For more details, please contact our Sales Representatives.

8. Can I use an existing AhsayOBS license key on AhsayUBS?

Answer) No, existing AhsayOBS license key cannot be applied on AhsayUBS.

License key for AhsayUBS must have the AhsayUBS module enabled. For partner with existing AhsayOBS license key, who would like to convert it to AhsayUBS license key, extra platform fee is required.

A new AhsayUBS license key will be issued and the existing AhsayOBS license key will be voided. For more details, please contact our Sales Representatives.

9. Can I use an existing AhsayBBF license key on AhsayUBS?

Answer) No, existing AhsayBBF license key cannot be applied on AhsayUBS.

License key for AhsayUBS must have the AhsayUBS module enabled. For partner with existing AhsayBBF license key, who would like to convert it to AhsayUBS license key, extra platform fee is required.

A new AhsayUBS license key will be issued and the existing AhsayBBF license key will be voided. For more details, please contact our Sales Representatives.

10. Can pool key generated from the Ahsay License Management Portal (LMP) be used on AhsayUBS?

Answer) Pool key (with the AhsayUBS module enabled) generated from the License Management Portal can be applied on the AhsayUBS with AhsayOBS version 5.5.7.4 or above.

11. Can I use a free AhsayOBS license key on AhsayUBS?

Answer) No, free AhsayOBS license key cannot be applied on AhsayUBS. License key for AhsayUBS must have the AhsayUBS module enabled.

12. Can I brand the AhsayUBS image via the Customization Portal (CPS)?

Answer) Yes, AhsayUBS image can be branded via the Customization Portal. For more details, please refer to the Ahsay Customization Portal User's Guide.

13. I cannot change the root password via SSH?

Answer) For AhsayUBS, the operating system's "root" account, and the web admin console's "admin" account share the same password. This password can only be changed via the AhsayUBS web admin console.

If the "root" password is changed via SSH, it will be reverted back to the original password after a reboot.

14. Can I install additional services or configure existing services on the operating system in AhsayUBS?

Answer) Currently, no additional services can be added or configured on AhsayUBS.

15. Can I change the default AhsayUBS file system?

Answer) AhsayUBS version pre-2.0.1.0 is installed with a UFS, while AhsayUBS version 2.0.1.0 or above is implemented using ZFS file system.

The file system cannot be changed.

16. How do I configure the User Home or System Home on AhsayUBS to point to a network storage device using either NFS or Samba protocols?

Answer) AhsayUBS does not support the use of network storage devices for User Home or System Home via NFS or Samba protocols. If you require access to external storage device as User Home, you will need to connect to the storage device via iSCSI protocol.

Keywords:
UBS, Universal, NAS, OS, Operating, System, BBF, BackupBox, Backup, Box
admin
Site Admin

Return to AhsayUBS