Moderator: Support Team

[Feature][OBC][NS]Restart large files, particularly Exchange

Postby mark_odell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Platform : All
OS Version : All
Product : OBM/OBS
Product Version : All
Descriptions :

Allow for restarting of large files when they are being uploaded and get interrupted. Like the robocopy /z option, or the facility that exists in FTP and numerous download applications, understand how much of the file was uploaded and then continue from where it left out.

It sounds simple as it has been around for years, particularly as the Exchange files will still be in the temp directory.

Reasons :

Most of my backup failures are Exchange related or those with big files (over 5gb). The problem is that if anything causes the file to stop it has to start from the beginning again, which is very inefficient.

A simple example - Customer wants to only backup in a 10 hour window at night, all is well until they put a 6gb PST file on the network, it uploads fine until the cut-off point and then just stops. The next night it does the same thing so you never get a backup again until you extend the window.

The same thing happens with when their Internet goes offline, or they reboot their server for updates in the night, or a host of other reasons that the job may get stopped and then be restarted again

Workaround : None I know of
Related Topics :
Keywords : Large files, Exchange, restartable
Save the hassle of your own OBS | http://www.connectpartner.co.uk
mark_odell

Postby Andreasbe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 pm

I second that, This is a vital feature, that will salvage a huge ammount of restart traffic.!!
Andreasbe

Re: Restart large files, particularly Exchange

Postby Nelsonn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 am

Hi,

This feature is already in our enhancement queue. However, we still do not have a target release date for it at this moment. We keep you posted as soon as we have any updates about this feature.

Thanks.
Ahsay Online Backup
Nelsonn

Postby JasonEde » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

This feature is essential if using vmware backup option...

I'm struggling to upload large backups (>40GB) as all it takes is a short drop out and then it starts again and it's wasted the first 2 days it spent trying to upload that file...

As someone else said it is already supported by other applications and so must be trivial to implement.

As Exchange 2010 has ditched single instance storage then backup file sizes are only going to get larger.

A release date would be nice Ahsay....
JasonEde

Postby JasonEde » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Just noticed the last post was 4 years ago... Surely this small feature can't take over 4 years to make it into production?
JasonEde

Postby whittan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I have issues with this too. I really don't want to be critical, but if it was in the queue to be developed 4 years ago, it should of gotten here by now?
whittan

Postby JasonEde » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm

There should really be a roadmap showing what features are scheduled for which release...

Saying that a feature is in the queue, but no release date or version when it would be included being given makes it hard to explain to customers why, for something that can probably be considered as a 'bug' not a feature, cannot be implemented and you have no time frame about when it would be implemented. Being unable to upload large files can be considered a bug... Internet connections do glitch occasionally and having to restart a large file just because of a glitch is not good practice and makes large files unfeasable unless you have a fibre connection (which few people do, even now)

What is wrong with publishing a page (with all the caveats as features sometimes need to be delayed, rescheduled etc) showing what features/enchancements/fixes are scheduled for which version and approximate (as to nearest quarter or early/late year) release date?
JasonEde

Postby jjohnsen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

This feature could be very handy indeed :)
jjohnsen

Postby adambg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 am

I'm having that problem with OBS 6.9.4.0 and OBM 6.9.0.0.
Simple backup set (files only), trying to backup a real large file... on a laptop...
Backup is practically stuck.

Any resolution?
adambg

Postby speciall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 pm

I tested a solution of competitor adbackup,
the files are backed up into a local cache file, wich contains a delta block mechanism.

This means, if you need to backup a 5GB File, it is backed up into the cache, and from the cache delta blocks are sent to the server,
if backup is unterrupted, at next connection it continues to send the next delta file

disadvantage of this is , that it may require a significant level of temp diskspace on the clients computer.

Additionally, they have a sort of cache server available,
If you have for example 10 PC's in an office you want to backup, they all sent their backups to the cache server, wich uploads it during the night to the backup serve

very nice technology,

is ahsay also working on solutions like this?
Please a reply from support would be great
speciall

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions