Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Deployment of Ahsay™ BackupBox Firmware (AhsayBBF)

Discuss technical questions on AhsayUBS

Moderator: Support Team

Postby jarmstrong5 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

With recent releases, memory availability for Java has been an issue. Is the BBF configured so that we can increase the Java memory utilization? With BBF what do you recommend setting OBS Java memory to?
jarmstrong5

Postby Scherring » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:40 pm

With AhsayBBF running on i386 computers, the maximum amount of memory addressable by 32-bit Java is 1024MB. The startup script /dom/obsr/system/obsr/bin/startup.sh detects the total amount of physical memory available on the computer and will set the -Xmx parameter accordingly.

For example, for a computer with 1GB of RAM, AhsayBBF will tell Java to use no more than 512MB of RAM (because 512MB is reserved for system uses). But for computer with 1.5GB or more of RAM, AhsayBBF will tell Java to use the maximum 1024MB of RAM because this is all allowed by 32-bit Java.

Of course, for x64 computers, the total memory addressable by Java is a lot larger. We will change the startup script accordingly when we release the x64 AhsayBBF.
Scherring Chong
Founder & Vice Chairman
Ahsay Backup
Scherring

Postby jarmstrong5 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for this information. This new BBF is a great addition and could help us a lot.
jarmstrong5

Postby hectorbuddy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:27 am

I've been using OBS for about 2 years now and am testing out this BBF and am greatly impressed with it. I'm sure this will be a benefit for future advancements
hectorbuddy

Postby rjansen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Scherring wrote:Referring to the questions posted by jhamilton,

Yes, this can be used to build a virtual server. We will make a VMWare image available on our website when we release v5.5.5.0 later this week. You can then simply play this image file to run an AhsayOBS server without installing an operating system and AhsayOBS instantly.

Hi,

v5.5.5.0 is now out for some time, however, I cannot find a VMWare image on your site.

Could you please let me know when this will be available?

Kind regards,
Raymond
rjansen

Postby Scherring » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:59 am

Both x86 and x64 AhsayBBF image as well as VMWare image can now be found here.

http://www.ahsay.com/en/businesses/ahsa ... rsion.html
Scherring Chong
Founder & Vice Chairman
Ahsay Backup
Scherring

Postby Scherring » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 am

Additional information:

If you want to enable 64-bit suppport for AhsayBBF, you first need to boot up AhsayBBF normally in 32-bit mode and then choose

"8 ) Switch AhsayBBF to 64 bit"

from the console menu. AhsayBBF will be restarted in 64-bit mode immediately.
Scherring Chong
Founder & Vice Chairman
Ahsay Backup
Scherring

Postby timg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I am testing the BBF on a vmware server setup and need to have a network drive mapping to a physical disk on the host server. I am not sure what all was included in the build such as samba etc. Not being too familiar with freeBSD I need to know how we can set this up in the O/S so it is accessible to the ahsay server.

Thanks,
timg

Postby jarmstrong5 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:21 am

Does anyone know where to find the documentation on how to use the VM Image? I don't see mention of it in the BBF guides. Is VMWare ESXi supported? I heard it may require a conversion of the image file?
jarmstrong5

Postby Kevinc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 pm

There is a bit difference between the the image format for VMware Server and ESXi, in order to run AhsayBBF VM on ESXi, you need to convert it using [html]<a href="http://www.vmware.com/converter">VMware vCenter
Converter</a>
[/html].

Documentation guides for VMware Server
http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html

Documentation guides for VMware ESXi
http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vs_pages/vsp_pubs_esxi40_i_vc40.html
Kevinc

Postby jarmstrong5 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Thank you for this info. So once I convert the image and launch in ESXi, then what? I can't seem to find any mention of how to use the VM image in the Ahsay documents. The BBF documents seem to be written before VM image was created.

Does the VM image contain OBS/RPS? Or do we then use NCU loader to install that?
jarmstrong5

Postby Scherring » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 am

Yes, AhsayOBS and AhsayRPS is already bundled with AhsayBBF. This means that you don't need to install it thru NCU.

You can use the VM console to setup IP address and subnet mask correctly (this way, you don't need to use NCU to setup IP address of AhsayBBF from another machine). You can then access the web administration console of AhsayBBF thru http://IP_ADDRESS:8080/

You also need to add a virtual hard disk from VMServer / ESXi to AhsayBBF to store backup data. For more information, please refer to Chapter 4 Basic System Setup of "Ahsay BackupBox v1.0.0.1 Setup Guide" in

http://www.ahsay.com/download/customer/ ... es_chm.zip
Scherring Chong
Founder & Vice Chairman
Ahsay Backup
Scherring

BBF on HP DL160 G6

Postby jazar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 pm

We are trying to use BBF on an HP DL 160 G6. Everything seems to be ok except the network adapters are not recognized. The server has 2 of the following NICs:

HP NC362i Integrated Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter

This is a common NIC in the the newer HP Proliant servers. Please help.
jazar

Postby Rockyboa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am

Very interresting product this is. I like it when all is kept to a minimal installation procedure.

BUt having a little issue with the included OBS, it seems to be solved by updating the OBS to version 5.5.5.4 hotfix patch. How this can be applied to the firmware?

I tried it using SSH and the BSD/Linux procedure and find / -name obs55.jar but since the /dom is mounted in read only, I kind think, maybe I should ask before.

Thank you

Martin
Rockyboa

Postby Scherring » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:50 pm

Rockyboa, you can run "mount -uw /dom" to make /dom writable before copying files over.

jazar, after searching around, we found that "HP NC362i Integrated Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter" is based upon "Intel 82575/82576" chip set. Its driver hasn't been ported to FreeBSD 6.4 yet. We probably need a few more months to wait until a driver becomes available.
Scherring Chong
Founder & Vice Chairman
Ahsay Backup
Scherring

PreviousNext

Return to AhsayUBS