Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

OBM on QNAP 219

Discuss any other technical questions here

Moderator: Support Team

OBM on QNAP 219

Postby inquisitor » Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello

I'm considering buying a QNAP 219 NAS, just wondering if i can install OBM on it as per these instructions

Edited by Support3 wrote:http://pedia.ahsay.com/openArticle.aspx?aid=1950

Thanks in advance

Miles
inquisitor

Postby Support3 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 am

Unfortunately, you cannot install AhsayOBM directly onto a NAS device. With the current version of our product, only AhsayOBSR can be installed onto a NAS device.

For backup on NAS device, you may need to install the AhsayOBM application onto a physical machine, connect the corresponding machine to the NAS device as a network drive, and configure AhsayOBM to perform backup on the network resource.

On the other hand, if you are interested in installing the AhsayOBSR application onto a NAS device, QNAP 219 NAS is a NAS device that is not supported by AhsayOBSR. Thus, no testing has been performed on QNAP 219, and we do not know if the NCU installer will works on that device.

However, on the next stable release of AhsayOBSR (v5.5.3.0), QNAP TS-639 Pro will be supported by AhsayOBSR. For the latest list of NAS devices that are supported by our application, please refer to the following article from Ahsaypedia:

http://pedia.ahsay.com/openArticle.aspx?aid=1950

Please also let us know should you have further questions regarding this topic. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby inquisitor » Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 pm

ok thanks for that - shame it's not possible :cry:

i'm a little confused why you edited the link out of my original message and replaced it with a link to another locations - that's misleading!
inquisitor

Postby Support3 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:47 am

We would like to apologize for the confusion caused. The link in your previous post is actually for AhsayOBM installation on NAS, which is no longer supported by Ahsay. For the current version, only AhsayOBS can be installed on a NAS device, which is why we have edited your link to avoid confusion to other partners.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby Support3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 am

BB80 wrote:I have a Buffalo LS Pro NAS with a Debian Linux, which runs OBM without any problems. You even helped install it.

So it is possible.

We no longer support AhsayOBM installation on NAS device in the later versions of AhsayOBM.

Thanks.
Support3

OBM on a QNAP NAS

Postby abeumer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 pm

It's no official but i just created a manual to install the 5580 OBM on a QNAP TS-559 Pro for my work.
It's currently running a backupjob of 30Gb which should complete successfully in about an hour.
The manual is written in such a way that rebooting the NAS won't make you loose the settings.

I don't know of anyone is interested in the manual?

regards arjan
abeumer

Postby mark_odell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 am

yes please
Save the hassle of your own OBS | http://www.connectpartner.co.uk
mark_odell

Postby abeumer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

mark_odell wrote:yes please

I'm going to test it more for 1 week so it's not on our site yet.
So where should i email it? support@connectpartner.co.uk?
abeumer

Postby mark_odell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:34 pm

yes please
Save the hassle of your own OBS | http://www.connectpartner.co.uk
mark_odell

Postby abeumer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

mark_odell wrote:yes please

Did you receive the e-mail with the manual?
Because I was expecting a auto response from the support address but did not recieve one
abeumer

Re: OBM on a QNAP NAS

Postby Tipsmark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:47 pm

abeumer wrote:It's no official but i just created a manual to install the 5580 OBM on a QNAP TS-559 Pro for my work.
It's currently running a backupjob of 30Gb which should complete successfully in about an hour.
The manual is written in such a way that rebooting the NAS won't make you loose the settings.

regards arjan

Could you perhaps post it here on the forum? Will it work for other NAS boxes too?
Tipsmark

Postby Support3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 am

As mentioned previously, installation of AhsayOBM on any NAS device is no longer supported.

You are welcome to install AhsayOBM on NAS, but if unexpected problem arise, we may not be able to assist due to the fact that we no longer test on AhsayOBM installation on any NAS. Furthermore, running AhsayOBM on NAS would require a special version of Java which requires Java Virtual Machine (JVM) royalty fee.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby abeumer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Support3 wrote:As mentioned previously, installation of AhsayOBM on any NAS device is no longer supported.

You are welcome to install AhsayOBM on NAS, but if unexpected problem arise, we may not be able to assist due to the fact that we no longer test on AhsayOBM installation on any NAS. Furthermore, running AhsayOBM on NAS would require a special version of Java which requires Java Virtual Machine (JVM) royalty fee.

Thanks.

The QNAP TS-559 Pro which I created the manual on has a Intel x86 architecture (Atom N450 CPU) so no special Java is needed. But I agree for the many ARM based NAS devices that are out there this wouldn't work.
For the QNAP Intel NAS devices I researched how to modify the startup process which is needed to run the OBM due to the OBM startup scripts and .obm folder are in the RAM drive.

So modifying it this way, you either know what you are doing or you don't because you might break the NAS.
abeumer

Postby Support3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Thank you for your update and clarification.

We just want to ensure that partners who are performing such modification/installation are aware of what they are doing, as support may not be able to assist as we have never had such experience/testing.

Thanks.
Support3

Re: OBM on a QNAP NAS

Postby abeumer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Tipsmark wrote:
abeumer wrote:It's no official but i just created a manual to install the 5580 OBM on a QNAP TS-559 Pro for my work.

regards arjan

Could you perhaps post it here on the forum? Will it work for other NAS boxes too?

When I'm fully done testing (large sets, large files, open files, etc...) I'll put it online. but until then I'm only emailing to those who ask and will help me improve the manual by testing it.

As for other boxes: There are a lot of different NAS devices out there and the reason i choose QNAP is because they have great support in customizing your NAS as well as NAS devices with a Intel x86 architecture (otherwise you need a different JAVA version).
e.g.
A Synology DS409+ has a ARM cpu and 512 mb ram.
the ram might be enough depending on your selection. but you need a different JAVA version and Synology won't help you changing the startup process
a QNAP TS-559 Pro has a Intel CPU (Atom 450) and 1Gb ram.
The ram is enough and they have a wiki on modifying the startup process and no special JAVA version is needed.
abeumer

Next

Return to Others