Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

How to migrate system home

Discuss technical questions on AhsayUBS

Moderator: Support Team

How to migrate system home

Postby NAUser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Whilst reading up on installing and configuring RPS I saw a note that said that I should ensure that the 'systemhome' folder on the OBS server has plenty of free space - up to several hundred GB in fact. As our OBS server is running on a UBS appliance and was installed on to a relatively small SSD there is only a few GB of free space available for systemhome.

Therefore I need to migrate the systemhome from its current location on the small SSD onto the large HDD array.

Can I simply create a new folder on the array and then point the systemhome setting to it or do I need to migrate the existing data as well?

TIA
NAUser

Postby iowanate » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 am

The 'systemhome' directory that you'll see on the web portal of your OBS is used to store various log file information. Most notably, the replication logs.
It's important to keep in mind that the 'systemhome' directory only contains log files and doesn't contain the actual installation of the Ahsay OBS. So if you'd like to keep Ahsay on the faster SSD and simply migrate the log file directory to a larger drive, then you can simply create a new folder on the larger drive and point Ahsay to it.

But if you are planning on doing a full migration and moving the entire Ahsay installation to the larger drive then your best course of action will be to do an over-the-top install and choose the new drive as the new location. This will migrate most of the Ahsay settings. The only thing you'll have to redo would be your branding. Whenever I have done a migration the branding always has to be re-done partially. So please keep that in mind as well.
iowanate

Re: How to migrate system home

Postby Algernon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 pm

I was trying to use RSYNC to another UNIX host. Gave up on that as when it did finish the second one would run but at times had errors and would stop. I can't tell if that is a network, client 32 bit or server 64 bit issue. Now I am still trying to upgrade and have a FreeNAS NFS mount point in the fstab so we will see
Algernon

Re: How to migrate system home

Postby AverageJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 am

Hi,

What version of UBS are you using? Did you get NFS homes to survive a reboot? I am running 2.13 and having issues where it will not save. I prefer NFS as I can move stuff on the NFS server and it runs at the speed of the disks rather than the speed of the network.

Thanks,
Joe
AverageJoe

Return to AhsayUBS