Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Laggy performance on idle system

Discuss technical questions on AhsayUBS

Moderator: Support Team

Laggy performance on idle system

Postby qwwwizx » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:47 am

I have been using AhsayUBS for some years and use it for backing up approx. 35 servers. When I add new instances to backup, it can take forever to get those backed up and thats strange. Its only like 20GB - 30GB, and I got like 300mbit to work with.

There are plenty of bandwidth, disk IO and the CPU load is less than 5%. I am always expecting the new system to be backed up really fast, but now and then it just keeps pausing like if the network is really slow or unstable. Looking at the bandwidth graphs it shows that the speeds are hitting like 150mbit and down to idle around 50kbit for some seconds before peaking again.

I am primarily downloading huge files, approx 200MB to 5GB a piece. What can be wrong? I really need the system to be more snappy, to get stuff done in the night. Any help appreciated

Ahsay Universal Backup System
2.23.2.0 (built on Fri Jan 30 13:19:10 HKT 2015)
FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE (revision 199506)
amd64 on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz x 8 (2264MHz)
Memory 70% of 16240MB
qwwwizx

Re: Laggy performance on idle system

Postby Support2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello,

1. Do you mind providing us with details of your storage setup:

i. Hardware or software RAID
ii. Local disks or iSCSI storage,
iii.. Total size of your user home volume
iv. The total size of data hosted on the user home volume

2. What is the internet bandwidth connection of your AhsayUBS server upload/download? Is this a dedicated internet connection?

3. When the backup pauses have you checked the AhsayUBS system log or DMESG log for any disk related errors or warnings?

4. When the backup pauses have you check the OBS_CONTEXT log for any errors or warnings?

5. Approximately how many backup job are run each day? Are the backup jobs evenly distributed through the day or concentrated within defined backup Windows?
Support2

Return to AhsayUBS