Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Competitive Analysis: deduplication, continuous data proctection, compression?

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Postby Support3 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 pm

aslam wrote:And during this same time, Mac users of Ahsay have suffered no end of problems. As well, the 5.5.3.x release of OBS has been a series of bug fix after bug fix which has meant that I have had to constantly be apologizing to my customers. That has made me look like an idiot.

One thing I really do like about Ahsay is how your support engineers typically give honest and prompt answers in the forums here. And while that is nice and refreshing, I can't keep looking like and idiot in front of my customers. I have been promising them features like DD for a while now and it really damages my credibility when I can't deliver it. As a Service Provider of Data Protection, my credibility is pretty important for me to be able to successfully do business.

I have to say that I'm seriously considering phasing out my Ahsay service and looking for a server software provider that can efficiently update their software with features I need and stick to their development schedules.

Please, I don't want to leave Ahsay. But I need your help. What can you say that will make me want to stay? Help me stay with your platform. Give me some confidence that you you will actually release your software on time. Are you guys addressing this constantly slipping schedule at all? Or can I expect that v6 will not happen by December 2009 as it is currently scheduled for?

We do understand your frustration on the release date delays. Often times, target release dates are missed due to un-expected issues, resource allocation, partner request, etc. We do try to meet the targeted date for every version. However, there can be cases where, similar to version 5.5.3.x, with the various issue on version 5.5.3.x, resource must be allocated to resolve the current issue.

Regarding your question on version 6.0, the target release date for version 6.0 is still scheduled for December 2009. However, please be reminded that the schedule date is still subject to the quality assurance process on version 6.0, and if there is any issues found during the quality assurance period.

Regarding your suggestion of beta version for 6.0, we will provide your feedback to our Software Development team. They shall consider on the possibility of a beta release.

Finally, our Software Developers are committed to improving / sustaining Ahsay's product. They shall, and will try their best to address the constant slipping of the schedule release date with better resource allocation.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby Maxwell » Sat May 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Nelsonn wrote:Hi jeffryer,

For data deduplication, this is one of the enhancement in our development schedule. Currently, we are aiming to include the beta version for this feature in v6.0.

For the compression ratio, the differences may due to the use of different compression algorithm. Currently, we are using GZIP as our compression algorithm because it gives the most balanced performance on resource usage/speed/compression ratio. The speed of GZIP is fast with low CPU usage and the compression ratio is relatively good. On the other hand, the compression ratio can be improved by the use of another algorithm, such as 7zip. However, as a trade off, the resource usage and the speed may be affected. In our future version, we may add a few different compression algorithms into our product and let the user to choose the algorithm that they would like to use. However, this should only affect the compression ratio by 5-10%.

If you want to save more storage space, we think data deduplication should help you to save more disk space comparing with using a different compression algorithm.

Regards,

this is nice
Maxwell

Postby mgaccess » Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 am

Don't get caught up in the dedup stuff. There will not be much gain with deduplication unless you have customers backing up the SAME files on multiple servers such as the operating system files... and typically those are not backed up anyway.

Although it is nice to say you offer it, dedup technology was created for large organizations.
mgaccess

Postby millhaus » Tue May 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Thumbs up, this would really be a nice to have feature.

Usually the data storage vendors like Netapp, Fujitsu, EMC², HP and so on implement/implemented those functions like data-deduplication on SAN level already which is a good way to reduce the amount of storage needed.

Now when it comes to software site like OBS with corresponding OBM you can also reduce the amount of storage needed. I fear on OBS site, you cannot simply use the advantage of data-deduplication of the SAN because of the encrypted/trashy data stored by OBS on SAN? Thus, you would need this feature provided via software OBS?

But hey, from this feature usually only our customer clients would take an advantage, not us as providers. On storage SAN level with data-deduplication we would make better benefits =)
millhaus

Postby jrehm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Old thread, but has dedupe been added yet? I haven't found any mention of it. I would certainly hope in 4 years something has been done in this area. I'm running an evaluation version for testing for a large client and dedupe might make or break the deal.
jrehm

Postby jedduff » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

jrehm wrote:Old thread, but has dedupe been added yet? I haven't found any mention of it. I would certainly hope in 4 years something has been done in this area. I'm running an evaluation version for testing for a large client and dedupe might make or break the deal.

Ahsay is not a solution for you.
jedduff

Postby jrehm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm

jedduff wrote:
jrehm wrote:Old thread, but has dedupe been added yet? I haven't found any mention of it. I would certainly hope in 4 years something has been done in this area. I'm running an evaluation version for testing for a large client and dedupe might make or break the deal.

Can you offer a suggestion if not Ahsay? Dedupe aside, Ahsay has been working out well.
jrehm

Ahsay Gold Partner claims Ahsay is software is unreliable

Postby GordanF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 am

http:/www.twitter.com/databackup‏

@databackup posted on 5 Apr 2013 on Twitter by Tom O'Connor -
We dont use Ahsay ever, since being a Ahsay partner since 2005 we urge people not to use their software as we find it unreliable.

databackup‏@databackup 7 Apr
AHSAY does not do a file check before a backup, you only find out if the files you have backed up are good after restore. Never use Ashay!!

Gor.
GordanF

Re: Ahsay Gold Partner claims Ahsay is software is unreliable

Postby PG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 am

GordanF wrote:http:/www.twitter.com/databackup‏

@databackup posted on 5 Apr 2013 on Twitter by Tom O'Connor -
We dont use Ahsay ever, since being a Ahsay partner since 2005 we urge people not to use their software as we find it unreliable.

databackup‏@databackup 7 Apr
AHSAY does not do a file check before a backup, you only find out if the files you have backed up are good after restore. Never use Ashay!!

Gor.

I wouldn't base any decision on the reliability of Ahsay on the opinion of TomOC.. from what I hear he is a bit of a joke in the backup industry.. Id suggest a poor understanding and poor management of the product.

just check out his awesome Auto Tune skills

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80757283/
PG

Postby Support3 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 am

jedduff wrote:

May I clarify if you have already submitted a Support Ticket for us to assist you on the AUA failure (we did not receive any email regarding failure of 200+ clients recently). For us to look into your issue, it is crucial that you submit a ticket, alone with the logs and details on the situation for us to assist you.

Again, please submit a ticket with the above described details for us to assist you.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby Ivar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 am

No problem at all. Example I use windows server 2012 deduplication feature where I hold Ahsay storage. It makes the same.
Ivar

Previous

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions