Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

cannot connect to the backup server

Discuss technical questions on AhsayOBS

Moderator: Support Team

cannot connect to the backup server

Postby opalis » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Suddenly my backup client on a windows 2003 server, doesnt respons when i'm trying to open the logon screen (user-id, password screen)
He give's as answer "cannot connect to the backup server"
Nothing has changed, it works for a year of two very good, suddenly this week it looks like the connection through the internet backupserver isnt available, but it is possible to ping the server from the client through the internet.
I have try to uninstall the old one en install the latest version from ahsay online backup server
opalis

Postby leemason » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Are you connecting by name or IP address. Check that the client can resolve the name of the backup server. Can you use a web browser to browse to the backup server from the client? Try http and https ports.
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Postby dancerdog3 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Is this a problem for only one client? Or are others also unabel to reach the backup server?
dancerdog3

Postby opalis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanx for your help, we already try to connect to IP and Name, that works, they see each other.
And the webclient is working with the same userid and password, thats seems to be ok, but the backup doent work... (missed in de daily log...)
I just reboot the server, but the problem stays.

Marc (needs help!!!)
opalis

Postby dancerdog3 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 pm

it sounds like a firewall is blocking something. Please check your firewall to check that the proper ports are forwarded to your OBS. Also, on the oBS please check if there is any software firewall that may be blocking things.

Is there any security software running on the OBM or OBS machines?
dancerdog3

Now everything went wrong

Postby opalis » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Suddenly a few clients, from different domains doesnt work anymore!!!
Nothing has been changed in de last Year!!!
Now when i'm trying to double click the backup icon on my desktop, the normal view apear, user-id + password, but when i say ok, i'm getting the error:
Cannot connect tho the backupclient!!!

This is for three servers in different locations, they are all independent no firewalls or switches are in these domains, just a simple sbs server with a adsl (same as t1) connection.
opalis

Postby Support3 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:39 pm

For this case, could you please submit a Support Ticket for our engineer to further assist?

Thanks.
Support3

Postby leemason » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:14 pm

You say that you have connected to the web interface. Have you tried both HTTP and HTTPS? Have you tried starting the client with both HTTP and HTTPS connections?
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Postby fuhrimans » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:24 am

Any update on this? I just started experiencing this with a Mac OS X Leapord install of ACB client. It had been working and backing up fine and then it stopped.

Uninstalled and re-installed and get the same error. I know it is communicating with the server because the client launches and gets to the login prompt and it knows that a user doesn't exist when I put in a non-existant username.

What I am experiencing is identical to viewtopic.php?t=2460 however I am using the 5.5.3.0 client.
fuhrimans

Postby Support3 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:03 am

Can you try running the AhsayACB application in debug mode to see if more information can be found? You can do so by following the instructions given in the following Ahsaypedia article: http://pedia.ahsay.com/openArticle.aspx?aid=1795

Notes:
You need to login with your Ahsaypedia account to access content of the article (e.g. http://pedia.ahsay.com/pf/12/webfiles/s ... login2.png )

Thanks.
Support3

Postby flxadmin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

opalis wrote:Thanx for your help, we already try to connect to IP and Name, that works, they see each other.
And the webclient is working with the same userid and password, thats seems to be ok, but the backup doent work... (missed in de daily log...)
I just reboot the server, but the problem stays.

Marc (needs help!!!)

Did you figure out the problem? I've been running the backup for 2 years without a problem and all of a sudden today all my clients are having problems logging in. the web portal works but the actual windows client says "can't connect to backup server" nothing has changed and this is happening on multiple sites at different clients.
flxadmin

Postby backupboxes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm

[quote=Did you figure out the problem? I've been running the backup for 2 years without a problem and all of a sudden today all my clients are having problems logging in. the web portal works but the actual windows client says "can't connect to backup server" nothing has changed and this is happening on multiple sites at different clients.[/quote]

See this post: viewtopic.php?t=8600

Many have suffered from this today. It's an easy fix though.

Hope this helps.[/url]
backupboxes

Postby flxadmin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm

backupboxes wrote:[quote=Did you figure out the problem? I've been running the backup for 2 years without a problem and all of a sudden today all my clients are having problems logging in. the web portal works but the actual windows client says "can't connect to backup server" nothing has changed and this is happening on multiple sites at different clients.

Hope this helps.[/url][/quote]

thanks, I had just found it in the forums as well about 2 min ago :) man after two hour of troubleshooting.. it sure would've been nice if ahsay let us know this was gonna happen. everything is working now with the new certificate though.. thanks for the help though backupboxes
flxadmin

Return to AhsayOBS