Moderator: Support Team

[Feature][OBX]Support backup of PostgreSQL Databases

Postby PhilE » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:41 pm

Platform : All
OS Version : All
Product : OBM
Product Version : N/A
Descriptions : Provide the ability to natively backup PostgreSQL databases
Reasons : OBM already supports MySQL, this feature would extend the product to cover both major open source databases
Workaround : N/A
Related Topics : N/A
Keywords :
Regards

Phil Edwards
Brighton, UK
PhilE

Postby jblancet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:12 am

This is pretty easy to setup as a file job because of Pre/Post commands and pg_dump or pg_dumpall but more automated agents would be a nice enhancement. I think I requested this about a year or so ago myself.
jblancet

Re: Support backup of PostgreSQL Databases

Postby Nelsonn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:09 am

PhilE wrote:Platform : All
OS Version : All
Product : OBM
Product Version : N/A
Descriptions : Provide the ability to natively backup PostgreSQL databases
Reasons : OBM already supports MySQL, this feature would extend the product to cover both major open source databases
Workaround : N/A
Related Topics : N/A
Keywords :

This request is already in our enhancment queue. We will schedule a timeline for it based on the feedback from the forum.

Thanks for your support.
Ahsay Online Backup
Nelsonn

Postby suran » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 am

I'm disappointed to see that there hasn't been progress on this request in 3 years.

I need Postgresql support in Ahsay -yesterday-. :)
suran

Postby leemason » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Sybase as well please...
BackupsAnywhere Ltd (http://www.backupsanywhere.com)
leemason

Postby suran » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:33 am

So.... any progress on this? Come on, guys... even a response would be nice. :roll:
suran

Postby dl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:15 am

Any thoughts around this Ahsay? Four years and counting ...
dl

Postby JasonEde » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Any news on this? I can't believe it can take this long to add support for a database backup...
JasonEde

Postby lasseoe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 am

Yeah and it's not like PostgreSQL or MySQL are difficult, you "just" have to call an external program that does all the work for you.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby JasonEde » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm

It would be nice to have this natively rather than have to dump out to a file and then have ahsay do the backup... Postgres is becoming more and more common.
JasonEde

Postby Jake Steier » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

JasonEde wrote:It would be nice to have this natively rather than have to dump out to a file and then have ahsay do the backup... Postgres is becoming more and more common.

Agreed. We have a major client which is beginning to have issues with the dump process and the way Windows handles the file overwrite. In addition, this causes drive space issues with having to keep enough space to have two copies of the DB just for the dump process.

Any word at all on a better solution than a batch file which stops the PostgreSQL service, copies the data to another folder, then starts the service again before the backup can begin?
Jake Steier

Postby yasha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:22 am

I'd like to see Ahsay support backing up the stdout of an arbitrary program (pg_dump, gbak (interbase/firebird), tar ...). It would be very flexible for situations like this, and restores would be just the same as using a staging file. It should be trivially possible to implement given the mysql behaviour and how sync algorithm works.

Back on topic, here's a bad suggestion:

You could try the mysql-pg-proxy program from npm and then use the MySQL module as always. Then when obm calls mysqldump it will work as normal (assuming mysqldump doesn't go overboard with MySQL-specific SQL). Note that mysql-pg-proxy doesn't (yet?) translate MySQL control tables like INFORMATION_SCHEMA etc to pg_catalog, so i don't think OBM will be able to browse/select tables inside the gui client, though.

Or replace the mysqldump binary with a program that translates arguments and calls pg_dump.
yasha

Postby JasonEde » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:27 pm

In the queue???? If you scroll up it was in the queue in 2006... This is now 7 years later... Surely simple features don't take that long to make it into the product?!!?!?!?!?!
JasonEde

Postby yasha » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 am

That was a spam post, not from Support3/Scherring etc.
yasha

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions