Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Alternate Load Balancer options

Discuss technical questions on AhsayRDR

Moderator: Support Team

Alternate Load Balancer options

Postby geolaw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Good Morning.

I was wondering if any other OBS user has come up with an alternate way to load balance your users other than the Ahsay Redirector?

We have ~2000+ users using RDR 5.5.8.2 and having serious issues ...

We cannot restart an OBS server that is behind the RDR without first downing the RDR as well. If we do, we have noticed that the scheduler service for OBM/ACB users fails -- it will load "User not found" and then STOP. No more backups until the scheduler service is restarted. Talk about a total FAILURE.

We also had an issue this past weekend with Ahsay's licensing server throwing an invalid expiration date. This STOPPED the RDR dead. Unlike the OBS servers that will continue to operate within a grace period, all backups run through the RDR reported "backup server stopped".

Luckily I was able to roll users back under a single OBS and bring them back on line - 48+ hours later I am still waiting for a solution from Ahsay and I continue to get intermittent licensing errors.

At this point, I am looking for alternatives to the RDR -- Squid? Apache? Anyone?
geolaw

Postby lasseoe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm

THere's unfortunately no solution to this, at least not very good ones. I wrote my own RDR a while back and got most it working, but it turns out that the HTTP(S) request are not always the same, som times they have username etc. in URI, and other times it's as a POST, and not properly encoded either.

"We cannot restart an OBS server that is behind the RDR without first downing the RDR as well. If we do, we have noticed that the scheduler service for OBM/ACB users fails -- it will load "User not found" and then STOP. No more backups until the scheduler service is restarted. Talk about a total FAILURE. "

This is a known bug, I discovered this ages ago and it took Ahsay months to reproduce it (but.. it's SO easy! :-/ ). Not sure if it's fixed in 6.7.x.x.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby geolaw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:59 pm

They say that its fixed in the latest 6.X but from past experiences with Ahsay, its still WAY too early to adopt the 6.X OBS. I think we generally lag behind 1 year just to let everyone else find all the bugs.

Going to 5.5 from 5.2 we saw the OBS servers trash tons of customer data from old back up sets (going back to obs 5.1) ... Data loss is not an option here.
geolaw

Postby geolaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 am

lasseoe

How far along before you noticed this issue with the RDR?

Ahsay is claiming it was not discovered until the 6.X version came out and they have no plans on developing a hot fix for it.

I have had them working on an issue I have had for months now. randomly, every 2nd or 3rd morning it does its license check at 8:01 am and then it stops responding to logins for 15-20 minutes. It will eventually recover, but this leaves us with a 15-20 hole in our log files when no backup activity occurs. This happens to be our busiest time!

--
George
geolaw

Postby jeff_re » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:12 am

Hey George

I have a setup with an RDR for 3 OBS boxes with 2000 users on 5.5.8.2 so if I can help you check if you've found a bug or are just the black sheep I will be glad to do so.

I checked my logs for each of the 3 OBS boxes and they all do a 8:01 license check that lasts for about 3 seconds. My RDR does a check at 7:31 that lasts for 1 second.

*EDIT* I just went back a day on my RDR log and found it started a half hour later (8:01) and ended precisely 30 minutes later. However, I have 3,551 logs during that time so it doesn't seem to have been a significant issue.
jeff_re

Postby geolaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks Jeff - but I am still seeing sporadic problems with the RDR.

Ahsay found some log entries that indicate a memory allocation error in some cases as it tries to execute ifconfig (I assume to pull the systems MAC ADDR/IP) , but it is not always the case

I think I am going to resort to automatically restarting the RDR via cron every hour .
geolaw

Postby jeff_re » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:38 am

Gotcha. That makes sense since that's were we deviate; my rdr is running on Windows.
jeff_re

Return to AhsayRDR