Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

6.9.0.0 - Multiple Hostname Issues

Discuss technical questions on AhsayOBS

Moderator: Support Team

6.9.0.0 - Multiple Hostname Issues

Postby trub » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 am

In testing 6.9, we are finding that suddenly the "hostname" must match between the OBM URL and the OBS. Previously it was OK if we has various OBM clients connecting with different URL's as long as that URL resolved to the IP address of the server. Now, it MUST match. We can't even connect now with the IP address. It must be the exact hostname.

For example, we had

xxxxxx.com >> resolves to >> OBS public IP address
yyyyyy.com >> resolves to >> OBS public IP address
zzzzzzz.com >> resolves to >> OBS public IP address

OBS Hostname is xxxxxx.com

I see that this change allows for better control of the SSL certs, branding & reseller control panel, but if we did not realize this prior to upgrading, we would have hundreds of clients suddenly not able to connect. I think in order to fix this, we need to setup a Sub-Admin for each required hostname AND make sure the the users are placed under the correct Sub-Admin. This needs to be done simultaneously with the upgrade. Also, I am assuming that the only way to "move" an account to a different Sub-Admin (with a different hostname) is to also contact the customer and manually change the URL in their OBM.

Ahsay, can you confirm all this? This could adversely affect many of your partners if they don't understand this.
trub

Postby Support3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 pm

For this case, can you please submit a Support Ticket http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index. ... contact-us , we would like to gather more information on your setup.

It is strange that you said the server hostname of AhsayOBM must matches with the hostname of AhsayOBS for it to connect, and that you cannot even connect with the proper IP address. As long as the hostname is resolve-able to the same IP address, AhsayOBM can connect to the AhsayOBS server.

Thanks.
Support3

Postby lasseoe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 pm

This is a complete no go for us! We have a lot of clients connecting to different hostnames because there is no way to remotely change the hostname in the OBM.

I really really hope this gets changed/fixed in the first hotfix... can also hope that it's simply a user error.
Lasse
lasseoe

Postby Support3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 pm

As mentioned this is not reproduce-able in our environment, AhsayOBM can connect to the AhsayOBS server if the hostname is resolve-able on the client machine.
Support3

Postby trub » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 am

I hope I am I wrong, but I have tried and tried. Anyone else considering the upgrade who uses more than 1 hostname should at least do their own testing in case I am correct. I will open a ticket now so Ahsay can assist.
trub

Postby trub » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

OK, so after a bunch more testing, we find that the hostname does not have to match for the standard "administrator" user accounts (ones with no owner defined). Once the user's ownership is changed to a Sub-Admin, it must match, and not even the correct IP address will work. This should not effect most people upgrading, until they try to separate their accounts for their resellers. Just be sure that once you move ownership to a sub-admin, that the URL in the customers OBM/ACB client matches exactly the "hostname" you define for the Sub-Admin account. Sorry if I set off any alarms.
trub

Postby jedduff » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am

trub wrote:OK, so after a bunch more testing, we find that the hostname does not have to match for the standard "administrator" user accounts (ones with no owner defined). Once the user's ownership is changed to a Sub-Admin, it must match, and not even the correct IP address will work. This should not effect most people upgrading, until they try to separate their accounts for their resellers. Just be sure that once you move ownership to a sub-admin, that the URL in the customers OBM/ACB client matches exactly the "hostname" you define for the Sub-Admin account. Sorry if I set off any alarms.

Should be cool to add this resolution to the ahsay pedia
jedduff

Postby mgaccess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am

I have confirmed this as well and opened a ticket a couple days ago. It seems that clients with different hostnames will still authenticate successfully, but I have hundreds of these errors in each OBS log no matter if the account resides on the OBS server or not (we use RDR).

[error][system][Api][AuthUser]
[Error] Invalid hostname, www.mydomainname.com
mgaccess

Return to AhsayOBS