Knowledge Base & Discussion Forum

Feature request: Allow overwriting files during restore.

Past technical discussions on Ahsay's Products

Moderator: Support Team

Feature request: Allow overwriting files during restore.

Postby jjohnsen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Platform : Windows
OS Version : Any
Product : OBM
Product Version : Future versions
Descriptions : When restoring files, we want the ability to overwrite the existing files. E.g. the source files could be corrupted and needed to be overwritten.
Reasons : We do not want to restore first to alternative location and then use the OS to copy / paste the files.
Workaround : restore first to alternative location and then use the OS to copy / paste the files.
Related Topics : N/A
Keywords : Restore, overwrite
jjohnsen

Postby gholapani » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:34 pm

hi
gholapani

Postby jjohnsen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Maybe I am bad at explaining the feature...

Say you have a directory with several thousand files, and you discover a virus or a corruption have destroyed some of the files, for whatever reason.
But what files are bad and what are good? You don't want to look at all the files to see if they are ok!
So you decide to restore the files from the last backup, only now it will skip the existing ones, and not restore them.
With a tick mark, "Overwrite existing files" (Yes, I know it is dangerous) you will be able to restore all the files and not worry which ones were corrupted.
Perhaps the tick mark can be guarded with an added security, say for example you have to insert the login password to make it active?

Is it still nonsense? Or are there a better way?
jjohnsen

Postby jjohnsen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Maybe I am bad at explaining the feature...

Say you have a directory with several thousand files, and you discover a virus or a corruption have destroyed some of the files, for whatever reason.
But what files are bad and what are good? You don't want to look at all the files to see if they are ok!
So you decide to restore the files from the last backup, only now it will skip the existing ones, and not restore them.
With a tick mark, "Overwrite existing files" (Yes, I know it is dangerous) you will be able to restore all the files and not worry which ones were corrupted.
Perhaps the tick mark can be guarded with an added security, say for example you have to insert the login password to make it active?

Is it still nonsense? Or are there a better way?
jjohnsen

Return to Archived - Technical Discussions